Monday, August 20, 2007

The Miracle of Medifast

A Ray of Light...Across the Plateau...

A ray of light has pierced the darkness of my lonely plateau. This morning I was down to 151.75! (My plateau held me between 152.5 and 153.25)

So, that is progress, that is something to celebrate, and I have hopes of getting under 150 within the week. I have not been under 150 for over 13 years. I spent from age 24-37 in an overweight and morbidly obese state.

I've been a little angry at myself for the past few weeks, which could have something to do with my plateau (psychologically). I've been angry that I wasted what were supposed to be the most "attractive" days of my life being fat and miserable. Now I'm 37, and my face shows the cost of the years. I'll never be "an attractive young thing" again. I blew it. I blew the opportunity.

So, I'm stuck in a "shoulda-woulda-coulda, pal!" moment and I KNOW it sounds vain. I KNOW that, but I can't help grieving the lost years.

My only solace is that perhaps I am the person I am today BECAUSE of where I've come from, and without that element I would be less understanding of obesity in general. I wouldn't have gotten my degree in Human Nutrition. I wouldn't be studying Sports Nutrition. I wouldn't be able to receive the support I do from this site, nor give it.

So I guess I need to get off my pity-party wagon and count my current blessings instead of lamenting past failures. And I have many blessings right now. God has been extremely good to our family. Financially, heck no. But our love quotient is super-high, and our contentment level is right up there too. We don't have a big house, it's a 1200 square foot farmhouse built in 1949 with one bathroom. But it is full of love and laughter and the pitter-patter of tiny feet. Yes, we are truly blessed.

I have been remiss in my reading of scripture lately, and I turned to these verses this morning. For those who are newer than about December, I don't know if I've shared this since then, but these verses have been my "life verses" on this journey to good health. They are to be found in 2 Peter 1:1-8


"Simon Peter, a bond-servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who have received a faith of the same kind as ours, by the righteousness of our God and Savior, Jesus Christ: Grace and peace be mulitplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord; seeing that His divine power has granted to us everything pertaining to life and godliness, through the true knowledge of Him who called us by His own glory and excellence. For by these He has granted to us His precious and magnificent promises, in order that by them you might become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world by lust. Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge; and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness; and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love. For if these qualities are yours and are increasing, they render you neither useless nor unfruitful in the true knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ."

I am always particularly struck by the fact that I had the knowledge of how to eat and take care of my body, and I had amazing self-control in spurts, but not the perseverance. This year has really been, on reflection, the "year of perseverance" for me. The Chinese Calendar has the "year of the monkey" or the "year of the tiger". Well, this has been the "year of perseverance" for me. And these verses really encapsulate my mission this year. God isn't going to to it for me, if you notice He is implying "you" when he says "applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and (you) in your moral excellence, (you supply) knowledge; and (you) in your knowledge (you supply) self-control, and (you) in your self-control (you supply) perseverance....."

We have to do the work on that, it is "our part", and God backs up our good decisions with His power to succeed. To get past the temptation. To continue on our journey. So I give the credit for the actual successes I've had to Him. Sure, I've made the choices, but I cried out to Him for the strength of followthrough and He has really come through. That is the difference for me.

It's when I have momentary lapses of memory on this fact that I end up in a sticky situation like the Sun-Butter incident the other night. So I'm trying to keep it forefront in my mind now.

Ok, that's enough for today. Have a great day and week, y'all!

No comments: