Monday, August 20, 2007

Food and Feelings

Food and Feelings

It's amazing what a prominent place we have given to food as it relates to our feelings, actions, goals, desires, wants...for example, does this sound familiar? "As soon as I lose XX amount of weight I'm going to eat XX!"

I had this mentality with Sushi. I love sushi. I can never get enough of the flavors of sushi. it's addictive. Spicy tuna hand roll? I'm there. Shrimp tempura roll? Let me at it. Rainbow roll? MMmmmmm. Soft Shell crab roll? Don't even get me started.

But then I found out something. 1 shrimp tempura roll has 580 calories. I used to eat two of those for lunch! Thats 1160 calories for LUNCH!!

When I went on the MF program, Sushi was the hardest thing for me to give up. I thought perhaps I could celebrate every 20 lbs or every 30 lbs loss with an all-you-can-eat sushi buffett.

Guess what? I didn't do it. Not once. I did not reward myself with food. Food is not to be used as a reward for abstaining from food, and succeeding on my diet. That is a sure-fire way of securing a reality for myself of gaining all my weight back + more after I get to goal.

We have to disentangle ourselves from this web of food intrigue we have built for ourselves over the years. Otherwise were just buying time, giving ourselves a lower start weight when we begin the binge to gain it all back. And we will gain it back if we keep these thoughts active and continue to entertain them. We will gain the plus some.

So the next time we think "I'll have XX as a reward" don't go there. Give yourself a NON-FOOD reward for your victories. You will be healthier in body and mind.

Thats it!

No comments: