Thursday, August 23, 2007

June 27 - It's 5 Mile Run Night. Bollocks.

  • It's 5-Mile Run Night. Bollocks!

    I will never be one to say exercise gets any easier for me to do just because I've been doing it awhile. It doesn't. Mentally I am still an exercise-phobe. (SSssshhhh...don't tell my body!).

    Tonight is my 5-mile run night, and in approximately 45 minutes I will be headed out the door. For the next 45 minutes it is my task to begin to dress appropriately, so that when hubby gets home I can just walk out the door with my trusty rustry IPOD and go.

    Did I mention I really really dislike my 5-mile night? Did I mention I really dislike exercise? Have I mentioned that none of that matters a whit in determining what I do anyway? If I think about running for 75 minutes, I get overwhelmed. If I think about getting my shoes and socks on, I'm ok. If I think about how many steps I'll have to run to get the 5 miles in, I'll get overwhelmed. If I think about the next step only, I'm ok. If I think about how many little green mile-marker signs I'll have to pass to finish the task, I'll get overwhelmed. If I concentrate just on getting to the next one, I'm ok.

    Weight loss is the same way. Have I had fun doing it? Heck no. Have I missed the enjoyment that food used to give me? Yes. Does it matter? No. You just do it anyway. I think America and the other Westernized countries are hung up on only doing what is pleasurable at the moment. Other less wealthy countries don't have the luxury of thinking about what they "want" to do, or what they "want" to eat. Only in America and it's counterparts are we flooded with so many choices that we are just plain programmed to be self-indulgent in all of them. And the minute we have to make any sacrifices, we whine and complain about it so that everyone can hear us and know how much we are suffering. I guess that's what I'm doing now. Whining and complaining that God has blessed me with good health and adequate joints so that I CAN keep my body in shape through diet and exercise.

    Boy. I just humbled myself. I think I'll go now, and quit the pity party.


No comments: