Thursday, August 23, 2007

June 29th - The Importance of a Goal Closet

So I Bought This Little Bitty Dress....5 months ago!

This morning has me thinking about my "goal closet".

When I began my journey last summer, I marched on in to Ann Taylor and bought myself some seriously on sale clearance items. In a size 8 Petite. The cashier asked me if I wanted a gift receipt with that. I said "no, no, these are for me, for my goal closet, because I'm going to lose 100 lbs." She said "right on!" and I walked out...without a gift receipt.

Well, firstly, I'm in to all of those goal clothes. The only two pieces of clothing I have purchased that I have not gotten into are my Levis Misses Non-stretch faded size 6 Petite jeans, and my Levis Misses dark stretchy size 4 Petite jeans. But since I still have about 25 lbs to lose, I'm convinced I'll get into both of those. I'm not runnin' out to buy a size 2 anything just yet, though.

OK, that brings me to the Little Bitty Dress. White House/Black Market has beautiful strapless cocktail dresses for sale all the time, they are so tasteful but also very sexy. Over the winter, they had one on a mannequin in the window that would catch my eye every single time I passed it. It was sort of retro-1950's house-wifey/cocktail dress (if you can imagine that!) that was oh-so-fun! But it was also $148.00 so it was way out of my reach. Well, Spring came, and so did the clearance sales! It got marked down...and then marked down again...and then again...and then again! And finally, when it reached $44.00 I dared to look at the two that were left on the rack...size 12 and size 8.

I did some calculations in my head, and decided that I wanted to buy it for a "goal dress" for a wedding I am to attend on July 7th. I think it was back in March that I bought it. I got the size 8.

I've periodically been trying it on for the last two months, to see how far away I actually am from wearing it...and let me tell you, people, how pleased I was two days ago when I tried it on...and zipped it up. All the way. It was a little snug in the upper, and so I decided to stop my upper body weight training until after the wedding just so I don't get any bulkier in my torso...but it fits, people! It fits! IT FITS!!!

I'm going to be wearing a sheer ivory-ish fitted shirt over it, just because my upper arms are not fit to be seen in public yet sans-sleeves, but I will take pictures and post them when I get all dolled up!

My husband says people will not even recognize me, who haven't seen me for awhile...and there will be plenty of them at the wedding! But I can wear it. And I'm so excited.

So, all that to illustrate how it isn't rediculous to begin assembling your goal closet now. It isn't rediculous to go on to Ebay and pick out a few beautiful designer pieces in a size that you only dream about today. Because you will get there. It's just a matter of time and determination.


No comments: