Thursday, May 31, 2007

When the Diet Blues are Gettin' You Down...

When the diet blues are getting you down, remember this:

"You could always be bigger!" Isn't that a comforting thought? It's a true statement, and one I have experienced in my life time and time again. Many times, when we eat off program, or just want to have that little piece of cake, we subconsciously "weigh" the option against us being back at our starting weight. How bad could it be, right? I was a nice person, people liked me, I was reasonably healthy at my highest weight, how bad could it be?

Think again. You can always be bigger. Let me illustrate.

When I was in high school I weighed 133. I was a Senior, and on the Pom-Pom line. I vowed I would not be "moo-ed" at like the girl I inherited the uniform/outfits from was the year before. So I dieted. I dieted down to 105. At Five foot Two that was just above the "underweight" line for my height. After two years of college and a year at Bible School overseas, I clocked in at 164. I dieted down to 122. Got married. Gained 10-15 lbs per year, and after 9 years of marriage weighed 239. Dieted down to 170. 5 years later I weighed in at 266.5.

And so goes the simple truth, when life gets you down, when you feel like throwing caution to the wind, throwing in the towel, eating until it hurts, remember this encouraging (yeah right) thought...."You could always be bigger."

I know if I gain this weight back, I will top 300 lbs. THAT is a simple truth that keeps me honest with myself. I will never be normal, my body and the way it handles food will NEVER BE NORMAL. But I can LOOK normal, with effort and hard work. And no one but me will be the wiser!

So have a great weekend, all my MF buddies! And stay true to yourself and your goals.

No comments: