Thursday, May 31, 2007

Delayed Happiness? No Way! Happiness Factor +10!

I used to think that my happiness would begin once I reached goal. I have since learned that it isn't true. My happiness began the week after I began MF, when finally I could say "I'm doing everything I can to be a fitter, healthier ME!" My attitude changed immediately. As the weight peeled off I became even happier, were it possible!

One of the things that had the potential to discourage me at the outset was how LONG I thought it was going to take to get my weight off. I thought I wouldn't be "happy" until I was at goal. Boy, was I wrong on both counts. Firstly, as I said, I'm happy now because I'm doing everything I can and it is a state of mind. My emotions still fluctuate, don't get me wrong, but they are starting from a higher happines factor to begin with, if you can picture a line graph...where I was was X=0 on the happiness scale. So when I'd become depressed, I'd dip into the -1, -2, -3, -25 on the "happiness" scale. Now I'm starting at a happiness factor of 10, so I rarely get into the negatives at all. I'm kind of a numbers and statistics freak, so if that was way left field for any of you, sorry! =)

Now, regarding the "time it will (has) take (taken) to get to goal", I look at it like this, and have commented and blogged in the past as such. Here it is, are you ready for it?

THE TIME WILL PASS ANYWAY.

Do you want it again? Here it is...

THE TIME WILL PASS ANYWAY.

What does that mean? It means that whether or not you commit to the program today or don't, in 6 months you will be 6 months older. You can't stop it. The time will pass. One day you'll wake up and POOF, it will be 6 months from now. At that time, you will call it "today". But in actuality it will be....6 months from now.

Now how many times have we said to ourselves (usually while beating ourselves senseless with guilt) "If only I had started this program and stuck with it 6 months ago....I'd be AT or ALMOST AT goal."

Well, use that concept for good instead of beating yourself up after the fact. Start now. In 6 months, it WILL be 6 months from now, it WILL be today, and if you were diligent you will be AT or ALMOST AT goal. How does that sound? Would you like to have woken up today and have been at or almost at goal? For sure! So don't let the time it will take for you to get close to goal put you off from doing something about it today. The time will pass. Do you want to be 6 months or a year older in 6 months or a year and be heavier? Or not have done anything and stayed the same weight? Will you be closer to your happiness then?

Not me! SO! What does that mean? It means that whatever you need to do today, just for today, do it. Do you need to drink more water right now? Do it. Do you need a MF meal? Do it. Right now. Because all you have to worry about is today. Tomorrow will take care of itself...you will wake up tomorrow and it will be "today" again. And all you have to worry about is today. Don't carry the burden of the next 6 months in your head and let it crush you. Just worry about today.

You'll get there. Look at my pictures. And I'm not even "there" yet.

Have a great rest of your week!

No comments: