Thursday, May 31, 2007

Out of the Mouths of Babes

I used to cringe at statements made by children that I knew to be directed at me. Ever since I was in the 2nd grade, actually. In the second grade my nickname was "Goodyear". Need I say more? But today I have been vindicated.

Today my husband took me and my darling boy to lunch at our favorite restaurant. It is called "The Med", which is short for "Mediterranean". And it is wonderful. More than wonderful. For any of you who live in the Denver/Fort Collins corridor, if you get a chance to go, go. It is in Boulder, on Walnut between 9th and 10th street.

My favorite dish medifast/friendly dish there is called the Nicoise Salad. Grilled-to-order salmon fillet atop a bed of greens, asparagus, cucumber, greek olives, cherry tomatoes and roasted red peppers, with balsamic dressing (on the side). It usually comes with chevre cheese and diced red potato as well, but I always have them take those off.

But I digress. After a wonderful meal, (following my 3-mile run this morning-yay me) I was walking into the ladies restroom, when a girl of about 7 and her mom were walking out. I opened the door, and as they were leaving I held it open for it. The little girl looked at me and said "Excuse me, (because our paths were crossed and she was very polite...) and then she let out a little gasp followed by "You look pretty!"

I smiled, told her thank you, and said she looked pretty too! (She did, by the way...darling little girl in a darling white sundress with sequins and sparkles....)

Now, 9 short months ago I would have assumed she was talking about someone behind me, and would have looked over my shoulder to confirm that. But today, I KNEW I looked pretty, my husband (bless him!) had already said so, and I knew so (you just know these things, when you have your make-up right and you are just kind of glowing...). So I didn't have to look over my shoulder, I just thanked her with a big smile. Turns out I was right, there was nobody coming into the restroom after me, and she had been looking right at me when she said it.

This sounds vain as I type it, and in any other forum I would not. But you ladies understand me. You understand where I'm coming from. You know it's a BIG DEAL when a child thinks you look pretty, and says so! Cuz after all, kids say the darnedest things!

I floated out of the bathroom, very confident in how I looked and how I felt, and feeling very blessed to have found MF when I did. Down 108. Plateauing like the dickens presently, but still down 108 from where I started. And loving it.

Happy Mother's Day, y'all!

No comments: