Thursday, May 31, 2007

So How Will I Get My Weight Loss Fix Once I'm at Goal?

ere's a question for all you lovelies on Maintenance...

First let me set it up by saying I'm addicted to losing weight. When I was 150 lbs overweight, I used to joke that I would love to have a "temporary eating disorder" ie the lack-of-eating kind! (Instead of the overeating kind!) I know, I know, it's nothing to joke about, I used to work for a top-notch private eating disorder clinic in Arizona, so I know I know. It's not something to wish on anyone. OK, that aside, as I'm reaching my goal I am beginning to wonder where I will find the motivation to stay at goal if I'm not losing weight.

The power of the scale is so strong, and I'll tell you what I fear. I fear I will purposefully gain 10-20 lbs right off the bat to keep the pressure on and have to lose it...and be able to continue experiencing the joy of the decreasing numbers on the scale. Then when I get there, I'm afraid I'll gain the 10-20 lbs again just so I can lose it. I feel worthwhile and confident when I am losing weight. It has been such a lifelong struggle for me that I actually think I derrive much of my self-image from whether or not I am losing weight.

But I want to get to goal and stay there! So how do I start to wean myself off the numbers and the importance I place on them, to try to get my mind in a position to not care that I'm not losing anymore once I've reached goal? Any advice? I mean...it's never too early to start preparing, right? I think I'm atleast 4 months away from goal...

No comments: