Thursday, May 31, 2007

Some Strategies

I thought I'd share some of the strategies that have really helped me along my weight loss journey. First of all, I'm 5 foot 2, and have gone from 266.5 lbs last summer to 159.5 lbs today. I've gone from a size 26 (tight) to a comfortable 8-10. My goal is to lose 41 more pounds, to get to 118 lbs, or a BMI of about 21.

So! I was commenting on a previous blog about my "goal closet" strategy, and my "jean-buying" strategy. This works especially when nice stores have items on sale reduced for final clearance type thing. Ebay is also fun to shop on for designer stuff at reasonable prices!

Ok, this is what I did. About a month after I started MF, I needed something concrete that helped remind me of my goal. So I walked into an Ann Taylor Loft, went to the sale rack, and bought a pair of size 8 Capri's. I put them in my "goal closet". Of course I was asked by the clerk if I wanted a "gift receipt with that..." and I just politely said no thank you and refused to be offended. After all, I was still about a size 22-24 when I bought said capri's. So I was prepared for it.

Then I walked across the street to the Levi's Store and bought their highest size (I think it was a 16...) in a pair of cute jeans. I put them aside and tried them on when I got home...of course they wouldn't go over my knees. But once a week I kept trying them on, until one day they fit! The day they fit, I was so elated I went back to the Levi's Store and bought a pair of 14's. Once again, I tried them on once a week. When they fit, I bought a pair of 12's. When they fit I bought a pair of 10's. When they fit I bought a pair of 8's (Ok, not really...When the pair of 12's fit I actually bought the 10's AND the 8's because I was so excited!) When the 8's fit, I bought a pair of 6's. Guess what? I can get the 6's on and zipped. They are not wearable out of the house yet, I look like a stuffed sausage in them...but the day I can wear them out of the house without being self-conscious, I will buy a pair of 4's.

A PAIR OF 4'S, PEOPLE! Even as I type that I can't believe that I will actually be doing that...last summer I was at Costco and some really fun Ralph Lauren Polo jeans were on sale...I bought a size 14 and a size 6. The size 6's looked SO SMALL to me at the time, I could hardly believe that one day I would fit into them. I'm not in them yet, as they don't have any stretch material like the Levi's do...but I can almost get them over my hips now!

You see, my body image is virtually non-existant, having been seared by so many years of abuse and yo-yoing, I have no idea what I actually look like or what my size actually is. Even if I'm looking at a full-length mirror. But clothes don't lie, and so if I am fitting into smaller and smaller sizes I actually know I'm losing inches and can't argue with it. Particularly, jeans don't lie.

So. That is a strategy I used, and if I was tempted by something I shouldn't be having, I would just try on my next size down jeans and refocus on my goals.

You can do it too!

No comments: