Thursday, May 31, 2007

First two months of Weight Loss Journey...Flashback Blog Entries!

I'm going to post my original blogs from when I first started the program..because I changed my sign in name about 2 months into it without really meaning to...I don't really know what happened, but here are the entries from my original blog under my sign in name of StacyPhillips. It reads from start to finish, about 8 or 9 blog entries in total, and then if you go back to my first GOALBYSUMMER blogs it is in sequential order from there. But I wanted to make sure anyone who cared could read my first couple months experience with MF and with myself incase it helps in your journey.....

FIRST BLOG ENTRY AFTER STARTING MF 2 MONTHS BEFORE:
Well, this is my Blog! I've never had one of these before, so bear with me! I have been on Medifast now for 7 1/2 weeks. I am very excited at the results...I've lost 30 1/2 lbs on Medifast so far. When I started the program just under 2 months ago, I weighed 250 1/2 lbs, and was around 48 BMI. That is very morbidly obese. When I lose 2 more pounds, hopefully this week, I will drop from "morbidly obese" to "obese". This is a very exciting prospect for me. My mini-goals along my journey-to-health involve my BMI. My next milestone after this one will be dropping from "obese" to "overweight." This will happen when my BMI drops below 30. It will happen, I know it.

I have been married for almost 15 years, and have a beautiful husband and a beautiful almost-2-year--old son. Julian, my son, is our pride and joy. One of my major motivations for getting healthy is for him. So I can see him grow up and be an active (let me repeat ACTIVE) participant in his life. Not a lumbering 100+ overweight mother who he is embarrassed of and who can't even tie her shoe let alone go to the movies (those seats!). No. That will not be me. I have made a vow to myself that I will meet my goal. I have not cheated once. NOT EVEN ONCE. There's no reason to. Cheating, or eating off program, is a step in the direction of death and despair. Literally. The only thing stopping my from being 300 pounds or more is one little ole' cheat. Just one. Because just one alters the mental motivation and momentum of the weight loss. And there are only two directions that the scale goes on any program. Down, or UP. My scale will not go up. I'm speaking figuratively (is figuratively literally on oxymoron?) and not literally...my scale did go up 1 pound on this program so far. Can't figure out why, except normal fluid fluctuations. It also stayed the same for about a week, but during that week my body re-adjusted and I lost inches.

This program is not for the feint of heart. It is for the courageous. Those willing to take their life by the horns and set it on a new path.

Today was awesome. I've been exercising about 4 times a week since the 4th day of the program, usually I walk an hour. Since I live out in the country, it is fun to walk...although I watch for mountain lions! But today, TODAY!!!!, I incorporated a little bit of running into my routine. Just a bit of jogging. I was stoked! I took it easy, jogged 20 second out of every minute, for 20 minutes. Felt great! Do you know when the last I time jogged was? Wow! Mini-milestone!

Anyway, this is my first blog so I'll keep it short. This is all for now, except to say that after this week, after I lose 3 more pounds, I will have LESS THAN 100 pounds to lose! Yay! Bye for now.

NEXT BLOG ENTRY:
Sometimes I get discouraged because the weight seems to be coming off slowly, but then I remind myself that 2 lbs per week is still faster than nothing! It still translates to roughly 9 pounds per month, or 90 lbs in 10 more months. The fact of the matter is it is coming off. I've been on MF for almost 8 weeks now, today is the last day of my 8th week, and I've lost 31 1/4 lbs. So, I am actually 47 lbs down from my high, which I hit last year Christmas time of 266 1/2 lbs. The fun part is that people are now starting to notice! It's subtle, because I did hear and it does seem true that for severly overweight people the first 40 lbs loss isn't completely evident to friends or acquaintances. But I've hit the 47 lbs mark, and people are beginning to notice more than my face getting thinner. It's exciting. Would I love it to come off faster? Sure, who wouldn't? Would I love to fit in my size 6 skinny-jeans that I just bought at Costco in anticipation of reaching my goal this year? Sure! But I think it's the process that counts just as much as the result. If I didn't have to work for it I may not appreciate it as much once I get there. Maybe it's the process that keep us maintaining our new thin bodies. Hmmmm. I can appreciate that. Regardless, I am almost back to what I was when I got pregnant with my son (209) and after that every loss will be a new 5-year low. I've discovered scallops again, which are wonderful when pan-seared! I've been working my way through a package I bought 2 days ago and cooked up for my lean and greens. So, another day, another 5 medifast meals and 4.5 oz of scallops/salad. That's my regimen today. That and a walk with my beautiful son. It's anice day for it, that is for certain. We live on a beautiful country road outside a small foothills town in Colorado, and the leaves are beginning to really change now. It's gorgeous outside. We are so blessed!

NEXT BLOG ENTRY:
This morning marks a milestone for me! Here's the conversation at the breakfast table....Me: "Hey, hon (hubby)! Guess what? I'm Obese!" Hubby: "Congratulations...what a milestone." Are we looney? Celebrating the fact that I'm obese? No, we are celebrating the fact that as of this morning's weight, 218.5, I have dropped from the "Morbidly Obese" to the "Obese" category regarding my BMI. Yesterday I was above 40 BMI. This morning I am 39.9. Medifast WORKS! I just bought some stock in the company yesterday. (sidenote) I was discouraged yesterday, but today that little revelation and mini-goal "met" has sent my spirit soaring. All told I'm down only 2 lbs for the week. But if I'm down "only" 2 pounds every week, that is almost 10 lbs per month. It's the big picture, my friends, the big picture. And the "big" picture is one that I will not be a part of for much longer. Cruisin' toward ONEDERLAND! And once I'm in onederland I'll be able to get health insurance, FINALLY! Yip Yip Yahoo. To all you who are thinking of starting, or just about to begin your journey, be excited. BE EXCITED!!! You are about to change your life! I have made my peace with food...for many of you you will be able to do medifast for a few months, and meet your goal, and begin eating regular foods again and maintain. For me, I have decided that even if I have to do a modified version of medifast my whole life to maintain my weight, ie 5-6 MF meals and 2 healthy meals (once I'm at goal) then so be it. I will go to any lenth to maintain the new figure I will have once I meet my goal. (Except to starve myself...I will not develop an eating disorder!) So be encouraged, be excited, even if it is "only" a 2 lb drop. My high weight before starting MF was 266.5, and I SouthBeached down to 250. (Hated it) Stayed there for awhile, then started Medifast and have lost 32 pounds in 8 weeks. If you have a body that loses weight like mine, you have to be prepared for and determine not to get discouraged if you lose 20 lbs the first month and "only" 12 the second. It was during the second month that my body was majorly shape-shifting. Anyway, enough for now, must get ready for my day. Bye Y'all!

NEXT BLOG ENTRY:
Yes, every day I'm shrinking even more. I should try on my size 18 jeans and see if they fit better now. I was in them last week, but they were skin-tight and they crowded all my belly-fat above the waist-line so I had a spare tire several inches in diameter...can't really wear them out yet...at least that was last week. I've not lost ton's of pounds this week, because I've been on a mild plateau nowfor 2 weeks...however, I have been losing inches anyway! I'm so excited about that. Total loss on MF is 32. I can't believe I'm in the 2-teens! Can't wait to get to the 100's! Right now whenever I log my weight, the last two days, it has said "pounds to goal....100.5" I cannot wait until it says "pounds to goal....99!" What an accomplishment. Wish me luck!

NEXT BLOG ENTRY;
I am just in 7th heaven. Two days ago I dropped from being morbidly obese (BMI>40) to being obese (BMI30-39.9) and it was the highlight of my week....until...I dropped another pound today and I now have LESS THAN 100 POUNDS TO LOSE! YES! I now weight 217.5 and my goal, as set by MF, is 118! Hallelujah! And, AND, I can now buy clothes at Costco. You heard me. Costco. I bought an XL grey turtleneck two weeks ago, and went back today for a cream colored one and a blue one, and they had no XL left so.....are you ready for this?.....I bought a Large in each color...came home....it fits! I can wear it out and not feel like I need to have a "CENSORED" black bar across my chest or midriff! Praise God. Thanks for coming along on this wild ride of mine...I can tell my husband is starting to think I'm a hottie-tottie.

Ok, in all seriousness and somberness, I was doing a little soul-searching on my 30 minute drive to Costco with my little Bambino in the baby seat in back...and I had sort of an enlightenment. It started when I stopped at the Diamond Shamrock for my customary 2 bottles (710 mls each) of water with FREE, I'll say it again, FREE crystal light "on-the-go" packets. Yum. I try and get two of those down by noon every day because getting my water in has historically been a pitfall for me on diets...anyway, I digress. The checkout lady told me as I was paying that she always likes it when I come through the store. I asked her why, and she said that I always seem so happy. I almost startled I was so shocked by her statement! What do I say? Do I tell her that I put my faith and trust in the Lord, and He's my source of happiness? Do I blow her away with that statement? I decided to tone it down and save that for another day, as follow up to this conversation (she's there alot and I'm sure well speak again!) So instead I counted all my blessings in my head, gave the Lord credit with my heart, and said "I have alot to smile about." Hopefully that will peak her curiousity.

Anyway, I was reminiscing on this as I was headed through Boulder, and I wondered that people could see me shine now....I realized that even though I was a Christian before now, I have used my weight to insulate myself from feeling. From being joyous. From loving life. I used my weight to make me numb. The weight was a weight not only physically, but emotionally and psychologically, causing me to lose myself and my identity. It was a burden, and it affected every area of my life. And I mean every area. My lack of self control extended to finances, housecleaning, you name it I was an instant gratification junkie. Now that I'm changing, I give God the credit but also am pleased that I am finally doing what He wants me to do. Live. Shine. Love. Laugh. Every day the scale goes down, I feel a little more free.

Thanks for listening.

NEXT BLOG ENTRY:

Yes...my jeans ARE falling off my body! Started MF 2 months ago, went from size 26 to size 18 so far...and after my bath this afternoon I put on my "comfy" size 26 jeans to lounge around and read MF blogs with my Raspberry Crystal Light water...and would you know it, walking from the kitchen to the living room my jeans slid down over my but and I had to pull them up or they would have fallen further and further down with every step! This works, folks! I just read the other gals blog about filling her closet with clothes that are 2-3 sizes too small for her as motivation...I agree! When I started MF I got onto ebay and bought four or five nice designer outfits (Calvin Klein, Chaus, Ann Taylor, etc) in a size 8. I put them in my closet and there they hang....I'm doin' great and I will wear those...it's only a matter of time. Time and determination. Those are the only variables....actually, determination is not a variable because for me that is constant. Time is the only variable. The goal and the determination are constants. Time is "X". It will happen, just a matter of when. I've never been so confident on any other diet I've ever been on. There was always that nagging doubt "but will it work? Cuz I don't want to invest my time, money, energy and heart into something that won't work!" But this does. Relax and do it! You'll be glad you did.

NEXT BLOG ENTRY:
Down today to 217 1/4, bringing my total on MF to 33 1/4 lbs lost. 8.5 weeks. I'm stoked. This morning I poured myself a big glass of ice water BEFORE I sat down to my Maple/Brown Sugar Oatmeal and small cup of coffee with 1 TBSP half and half in it (I only use 1 TBSP with a small cup so I can have another afterwards, and it feels like I've had two whole cups of coffee with cream instead of one...good trick, it works for us coffee people.) Yesterday I realized at 11:30 am that I had not had any water yet for the day, and thought back to the last time I had had it...it had been 18 hours! That is not good. So this morning I'm starting right off. From now on it will be the first thing I do after getting up (after weighing) is to drink a big 16 oz glass of ice water. Otherwise my day gets going and I don't realize that I'm parched! Historically, on any diet I've been on (except this one) I never drank enough water, and I did drink too much half and half. Because it was a "no-no" on other diets (half and half) I would end up "cheating" from the get go, and that just set me up for failure. But I love Medifast, and it may be that the designers knew this would be a hangup for alot of people, so they included half and half, 2 TBSP, as an allowed food. It makes all the difference for me, as I get out my little TBSP measuring spoon and measure out my half and half in the morning. The measuring fosters measuring and control in other areas, and the fact that I'm not cheating in having it with my coffee also keeps me reminded that I am in control. It's way cool. I just had to say that. Have a good day, y'all and keep shrinking.

NEXT BLOG ENTRY:
I have been very hungry today, trying to space my meals out so I don't have too much day left after my last one tonight! Took a hot steaming bubble bath to try to get my mind off the hunger. It's weird, I'm usually not hungry like this. Might have a quick-soup snack to stave off these pangs. I know I'm in ketosis, I've had that sweet taste in my mouth all day. Other than that the day has been a good one. Saw a dear friend of mine in Estes Park, had tea with her and just enjoyed her company. She's in her 80's, and what a dynamite woman she is. I call her "Mrs. T" There are life-givers and there are life-suckers. People who you spend time with and feel energized afterwards...those people are life givers. Other people you are just drained to the hilt and a bit frazzled...those are life suckers. I just needed to be with a life-giver today, and I feel much better. I'm a bit discouraged because my scale doesn't seem to be moving fast enough for me...217 and I need it to say 216-something tomorrow. Why? Because I'm stuck on the numbers. 7 more pounds and I get to schedule a massage at the Posh St. Julien Hotel and Spa in Boulder. Those are my mini-goal rewards...every 20 pounds. We'll see if we can afford it this time around...I may have to wait for the next 20 pound drop. My husband just got back from a weekend in LA at a conference, and today I've been really tired. Really really really tired. I had the little man (my beautiful son Julian) by myself all weekend, and MAN do I respect all you single-moms out there. How do you do it? I have nothing but awe and admiration for your abilities, and I also pray for you that God give you supernatural energy! Time to go.

LAST BLOG ENTRY BEFORE MY GOALBYSUMMER MONIKER BEGAN...
TOM and bumming out...not actually started yet, but it's that pre-TOM sort of nauseaus, dissatisfied, edgy, crampy, grumpy funk I've been in today. Also been at a plateau for 3-4 days and not happy about it. I know it's probably due to fluid retention, but I am such a black and white person that if the scale is not going down I feel like I'm doing horribly. I get this irrational fear that it will NEVER go down, despite my best efforts. I know this is crazy self-talk. I just try to get through it, go to bed early, and hope tomorrow will be a new and better day. I don't think I'll weight tomorrow, actually. First day in 9 weeks I won't have weighed, but I just don't think I can take the disappointment. I'll wait 1 week and weigh next week Wednesday. Hopefully I'll be down at least 2 pounds. That is my goal. (my minimum goal...more would be better!) Got to get out of this funk. Just had a coke zero to ease my munchy side, and I'll follow it up with 1/2 L of water and go to bed. Sorry so down.

No comments: