Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Separating "hopelessness" feelings from "deprivation" feelings

I am to a point in my program where I see old habits and old patterns trying to re-emerge, patterns that ultimately lead to failure and giving up and gaining weight.

These patterns begin with a mindset, and I am trying to battle those creeping feelings of hopelessness.

It is especially hard during the holidays, because there IS an underlying feeling of deprivation that overshadows my days, and in my head it is hard to distinguish this deprivation feeling from the feelings of hopelessness that usually ends up derailing my efforts.

But I am recognizing this and am trying to combat it in my head and in my heart, to take the sting out of the deprivation feelings and to turn them around to a positive so that I won't mistake it for hopelessness.

When I look at the facts of my journey this time around, they DON'T point to failure and hopelessness and "well I might as well throw the towel in" as a given.

No. I have been successful. I have done well. I have had my slip ups but this is a journey and a process, and the minute we TRULY give up and throw the towel in, it becomes extremely hard to turn that around to go the "right" direction again.

So I will not succumb to my feelings. I will examine the facts, and I will take each day one day at a time. I've had my coffee. I've had my first MF meal. If I continue like this I will have yet another successful day on Medifast, no matter how I FEEL about it.

Here's to another successful day. Rinse and Repeat.

No comments: