Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I've not failed, I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work - Thomas Edison

And with that I re-enter the land of the living Medifasters. I've been banging my head against the wall wondering what it is in me that causes me to do well for 3-4 months and then try things "my way" for awhile. Well, I know it is stubborn rebellion, for one. Immaturity, secondly. And thirdly? A fear of success.

Well, I am going to do some real head-work and soul-searching to get this thing figured out. And if I can't figure it out, I atleast need to get to the point where I am doing what I need to do, complying with the program, no matter how I feel about it.

Time to grow a pair. Of course I am referring to self-discipline and perseverance. Thanks for being with me on this journey.
I'm going through a Dave Ramsey course on Financial Peace right now, and this morning it struck me that I always seem to have to have "something" spiraling out of control. I don't plan it that way, but it seems to be the case and I want to change it.

My biggest "failure" categories through my life have been 1) weight, 2) finances, and 3) housekeeping.

Funny that these three areas all have to do with persistent self-control, which is a character attribute I am working on attaining in ALL areas of my life.

But for some reason, and I especially noticed this the last time I lost weight, I seem to "transfer" addictions/compulsions. The last time I lost weight, I went willy nilly on my spending. When I'd have a bad day I'd "E-bay" it away. When I went to the mall I never left without having purchased something for me because, well, because "I deserve it".

This time, and perhaps this may be one of the reasons it seems harder to remain consistently on-plan, this time I am getting my financial house in order. AND I am also getting my house-house in order, by trying to stay on top of the cleaning and the clutter.

You see, I never really learned consistent and persistent self-control last time. I just transferred my lack of impulse-control and my need for instant gratification over to buying stuff.

Well, I plan to take this time of reflection to really work on the tough stuff. To really make this a permanent change. Because that is what it is about, atleast for me. Only the development of consistent and persistent self-control and discipline in my life will give me the results that I desire.

And we know that....


"No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it."

Hebrews 12:11.

No comments: