Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Fat doesn't care how I feel - and a bit about hunger

I am so glad my fat doesn't know or care how I feel. I'm so glad it responds to what I put in my body, not what state my emotions are in.

Sometimes I think people feel like they've failed already just because they WANT something or they CRAVE something. Somehow, in the WANTING or the CRAVING they already feel like a failure and so they may as well succumb.

I am just thankful that my fat doesn't care what I'm craving, it only comes or goes based on what gets into my mouth. And I control that. I control that whether I'm happy, whether I'm sad, whether I'm PMS, whether I just had a run-in with my MIL. And if I don't STUFF my emotions with food, or ESCAPE my life with food, then I will continue to get to my goal.

I'm hungry right now. Yes I am. But it's not time to eat yet. So I'm not going to have my next MF meal until 3:00.

Many times I hear "I felt I needed extra calories" or "I was hungry so I added an extra meal". Let me ask, what is wrong with a little hunger?

We obese folk are so stinkin' afraid of a little hunger! How did we get this way? How did we get so, so SOFT? It's like we don't think we should have to stand even a little bit of discomfort, or HUNGER, to accomplish what we set out to do?

None of us want to hear that normal people let themselves actually GET hungry BEFORE they decide it's time to eat! Yes! It's amazing, I know. And sometimes they will even allow themselves to STAY hungry for a period of time before they get something for themselves to eat, like perhaps they are waiting for a mealtime to roll around or something. It's like a DAILY thing, even SEVERAL times a day that normal-weight people, people who self-regulate naturally, actually GET HUNGRY.

Crazy concept. I'm exploring it more fully as I sit here, hungry, but OK with it. OK with being "normal".

I have done this program once before, and all told I have now lost over 200 lbs with Medifast. I will let you in on a little secret. You ARE going to experience hunger at times during your program. Sometimes it will be so intense, you think you must be doing something wrong, because after all, we shouldn't be hungry on Medifast, right?

Wrong. Some people rarely experience hunger on Medifast. Some people are hungry every day of the program. I oscillate between the two, as I think many people do. But I challenge you next time you are dying of hunger and it isn't time to eat....I challenge you to sit tight and work through it. Start learning to enjoy that hunger pang, that feeling of emptiness in your stomach. Remember that it is only your stomach that is empty, not your life. Remember the many blessings you have, remember why you are doing this in the first place...and remember, NORMAL PEOPLE GET HUNGRY, and it is no biggie for them.

That's all for today....just something I've been thinking about.

No comments: