Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The Importance of Routine

Routines are very important for me.  Habits that I can develop that absolutely improve my life on a daily basis, with baby steps. 

One of the habits of I developed within the last 3 months is the habit of getting up at 4:30 am.

Back in May, I decided that my morning routine was going to start at 4:30 am so that I could get my quiet time in, my exercise in, my personal development in, shower and be ready to engage my day having already accomplished much of what I wanted to accomplish PERSONALLY that day.  That way, the rest of my day could be focused on my family and my community, without me always wondering when I was going to get my run in, etc etc.

That first morning was the hardest.  In fact, the first morning I rose before dawn was the first morning I met with my friend and personal trainer, and I needed to get up at 3:45 am in order to drive across town for our 5:00 am session.  It seemed surreal, being up before the sun.  I wondered how in the world I was going to rise at 4:30 every day!

Well, I've got news for you.  I have NOT risen EVERY morning at 4:30, there are a few mornings where I have slept in.  But did I throw the towel in on the whole effort that first time I pressed snooze? 

No.  The next morning, my alarm went off at 4:30 again.  Every time I DO get up at 4:30, I make it more of a habit, more a natural part of my life.  So, while I still do not perhaps practice the habit every SINGLE day in a PERFECT manner, my orientation and my desire is still geared towards getting up at 4:30 am to start my day. 

If you knew me a few years ago, I was THE LAST PERSON you would have EVER thought would even DESIRE to get up at 4:30, let alone follow THROUGH with it.

But I have added it in to my routine now because I was ready to do so.  I was ready to take that step, to make that commitment to become an early riser because I saw the benefit and having several focused hours at the beginning of each day to think, to pray, to exercise, and to order my day.  It is important to me now.

As is health.  Health is very important to me now.  And, like the early rising thing, I have not been PERFECT as regards pursuing health either.  I used to be a perfectionist, I used to be all-or-nothing and that mentality always left me with nothing.

Now, that being said, saying I'm NOT a perfectionist does NOT mean that I condone nor strive to be anything LESS than 100% adherent to the TSFL Program utilizing the Medifast 5&1 Plan.  Because I know from my experience personally and from what other people tell me that I am MOST successful when I am lining up 100% On Plan Days, and not MODIFYING the plan in any way from what is written in the Quick Start Guide and the Expanded Condiment/Healthy Fat list. 

What it DOES mean, (me NOT being a perfectionist anymore) is that on days that Plan B arises and I make choices that don't reflect the Quick Start Guide, that I don't throw the towel in on the whole process or even the whole DAY just because I wasn't "perfect".

I remember in my dieting days when I'd have 1 TBSP too much of half and half in the morning, and consider the WHOLE DAY wasted, eating whatever I wanted for the rest of the day because I had already deviated slightly so what was the point in adhering anymore that day?

Well, that was VERY misguided and short-sighted of me.  Why?  Because our "diet clocks" don't "reset at midnight".  Our bodies will respond to what we put into it, anytime we put anything into it!  So had I just made my NEXT meal a Medifast one, I likely would have been OK!  That is what I have learned, that one choice which may not reflect my commitment towards optimal health doesn't have to lead to two and three and four choices of that nature.  The plan begins working again with my VERY NEXT CHOICE, provided it is in fact ON PLAN.

So where am I today?  Well, I'm a FORMER dieter, I am NOT on a diet.  I am living my life in health, and right now that includes the Medifast 5&1 while I continue on in a healthy weight range towards my original goal, which is attaining and maintaining optimal health.  =)  Being the best "me" I can be, as it is in my control and power. 

Rinse and Repeat!

No comments: