Saturday, August 24, 2013

If You Don't Take a Stand for Yourself, Who Will?

If you aren't going to take a stand for yourself, who will?

I think many of us believe we are not worth fighting for, and so we don't even fight for ourselves.

I also think those of us who are morbidly obese don't truly understand that we could die today.  I mean it.  Die TODAY.

Oh, we are relatively healthy, we think.  Until we aren't.  Until we have a stroke.  Or a sudden cardiac event which could result in death.  Or we get that cancer diagnosis.

Did we know that the risk for ALL of these  things is drastically reduced if we are NOT obese?  Sure we did.  We just didn't think it would happen to US.

I was there, I was class IV Super Obese, I remember what I thought and felt.  And oddly enough I felt like I was relatively healthy.  That I just needed to lose a little weight, you know, to feel better about myself.

I was kidding myself.

If you are reading this, and you have a BMI of 35 or higher, and you AREN'T SERIOUS about getting heatlhy, I need to tell you this as lovingly and compassionately as I can.  You don't gotta lose this weight for vanity, hon, you don't gotta lose this weight to feel a little better about yourself or to fit into that summer dress you bought last year that you'd love to get back in to.......you've got to lose this weight to

SAVE.

YOUR.

LIFE.

Will you listen to me?  I don't know.  Will you get all discouraged today because the process isn't happening fast enough for you?  Are you mad because you can't be skinny tomorrow so you might as well eat this cake today and enjoy yourself?  Did you fall off the wagon yesterday and you are vowing to "do better" today?   If you have a BMI of 35 or greater, 40 or greater, 45 or greater, approaching 50 like I did, and you aren't DEAD SERIOUS about getting healthy, I'm telling it to you straight:

YOU.

ARE.

KILLING.

YOURSELF.

This isn't a game.  This isn't just a "good idea".

Someone had to say it.  Your family is too scared you'll get angry with them.  Your Doctor is so demoralized with fat people coming in his office every day who don't listen to what he says that he may have stopped even saying it.  Heck, you don't even listen to that inner voice you squelched so long ago that is telling you the same thing, because hey, you woke up today, didn't you? 

Be your own hero.  Save your life.  Take a stand for yourself.  You ARE worth it.

If you ARE on the path toward health, if you are TAKING this journey seriously, if you DESIRE to create something beautiful and noble in your own life as regards your health, if you are ON PLAN today then do know this, you ARE doing everything possible to be the best version of you possible.  YOU can rest in the peace and knowledge that this is a process and YOU are on the path, and YOU are taking responsibility for your health.  YAY YOU!

But if not?  If you are "playing at" this program?  And if you are still obese?  Please step back and take an honest assessment of where you are and where you are going.  And fight....for YOU.

No comments: