Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Why Do We Make This So Hard? - And I'm down 134 pounds, with a picture!


The hardest part of this journey is truly mastering the 6 inches of grey matter that resides between our ears.

We can do anything for an hour.  Or a day.  Or a week.  Or heck, even 30 days. 

Maybe even, if we are REALLY motivated we can keep something up for 90 days.

But the REST of our LIVES?

Does this sound familiar?  The dread?  The disheartening "Really?  I have to do this for the REST of my LIFE?"

Well, if you've succeeded in turning this awesome hopeful optimistic plan into a big ole' drudgery, if you've relegated yourself to true martyr status and put on that grumpy "I can't have that, why are YOU having that in FRONT of me" face, then I see your point.  Bummer.  Drudgery.  Deprivation.  Poor you. 

Is there an alternative?  Absolutely there is.

Unless you are determined there is not.

You see, it is truly up to you what you make of this plan, firstly, and it is also up to you the attitude with which you live every day of your journey.

Me?  I chose a long time ago to view this as an exciting, hopeful, optimistic tool for true change in my life.  And guess what it has become?  An exciting, hopeful, optimistic, SUCCESSFUL journey. 

I adopted an attitude of gratitude, changed my "I HAVE TO EAT THIS WAY?!?" to "I have the PRIVILEGE of eating this way because I am indeed changing my life and creating something AMAZING here!"

When I developed that attitude I began to live it.  It wasn't and isn't fake.  I'm truly grateful, truly transformed, and am here to tell you that there is so much more to life than being bummed about "having" to eat Medifast Meals all day. 

Someone asked me the other day "How long did it take you?"  because we Americans are all about instant results.  We are all about scheduling in XXXXX amount of days to complete XXXXX amount of tasks, and to check off the box "to lose weight".

Here are some common common questions I get, and the way I WANT to answer them:

How long did it take you?
My whole life up until now.
Is the food good?
It's edible.  Does it matter?
What about the extra skin?
I look great with clothes on, it's none of your business what I look like with them off LOL.
I need to lose 100 pounds and am worried about looking bad with extra skin.
Honey, if you've got 100 pounds to lose you are deluding yourself if you believe you look good NOW.
When I'm done, can I eat what I want?  I'm worried I'll never be able to have pizza or cake again.
You can always eat what you want, whenever you want, in whatever quantity you want.  If that is what you want.  We always get what we want.
But it is just going to take so LOOOOOONG!
You got somewhere else to be?  The time will pass anyway, do you want to be saying in 12 months "I wish I had started 12 months ago?"
But it is so expensive! 
I have found it to be cost-neutral in my own life, because at $12/day I was justifying spending that much on Starbucks and Chipotle before.  And feeling like crud.  Plus, the savings from the diabetes, blood pressure, and cholesterol medication I will NEVER HAVE TO TAKE more than pay for it.



Takes some time.  Food is edible.  Skin is not an issue.  Eat what you want.  Today is the best day to make a change.  Life is expensive.

How is that for everything you wanted to know about the process?  =)
 I cannot stress enough that the only difference between where I am now and where you want to be is a little bit of time.  Oh, that and staying on plan just for today.  Then tomorrow?  Rinse and repeat!

No comments: