Thursday, June 13, 2013

Do We Truly Understand the Power of This Tool?

I am always amazed when I see someone who as absolutely transformed their life by transforming their health.  The tool of TSFL is SO powerful, the effect it can have on a life if it is used as directed.

In my community of peeps it isn't uncommon at all to see these successes documented every single day.  The excitement of another successful empowering week.  The non-scale victories that are reported every single day.  It truly is contagious.  And the things all of these success stories have in common, as I have observed them, are quite simple. 

I am about to divulge the secret of success.  Are you listening?  Are you ready to receive it?  There are four of them. 

OK. 

1)  Follow the directions
2)  Do the work
3)  Never give up
4)  Keep focusing on optimal health

If you have it "in you" to do these four things, you can have the kind of success that will utterly transform your entire life.  And guess what?  There is no expiration date on reaching your goal because the goal IS optimal health, and we never "stop" reaching out for it.

A number on a scale is not a goal.  Well, it was for me the first time I did Medifast.  But that time I did not seek to develop a fit and healthy mind along with my healthy BMI.  I was just seeking a number on a scale, and when I "arrived" that meant I was "done" and I could "relax" and "have whatever I wanted".  So it was fleeting, it didn't last.

The power that seeking optimal health has had on MY life amazes me.  I feel free, I feel transformed, and catch this because it is a BIG ONE:

I am NOT WORRIED about GAINING MY WEIGHT BACK because I FEEL IT IN MY GUT and KNOW WITH ALL MY HEART that I will NOT EVER allow myself to slip back EVER into the "diet" mentality.

You see, the "diet" mentality almost REQUIRES me to gain it back because if I measure my success by "losing weight" all of the time, then the ONLY way I can CONTINUE to feel successful is to always be LOSING WEIGHT. 

If I am addicted to that DROP on the scale to measure my self worth, then I will always create a situation whereby I NEED to drop weight so that I can necessarily feel good about myself again.  In order to do that, I HAVE to always gain weight so I can LOSE it again.

When I realized that I had been exhibiting that kind of behavior since I was in elementary school on my first formal "program" ever, it shocked me.  I had the biggest "A-HA" moment I have ever had.  Realizing that I was a scale junkie  and that I allowed that beast of a thing to dictate to me my value for the day/week/month/year was like waking up out of a fog and realizing that there is SO much more to life than the scale.  I also realized that I was addicted.....TO LOSING WEIGHT.  I was entrapped.....BY MY SCALE.  It had never, up until I began my TSFL journey in July of 2010, been about HEALTH.  Let alone OPTIMAL HEALTH.

It had been about that blasted scale and whether I was losing or gaining, because I was always caught in that oscillating cycle of lose-gain-repent-repeat.

What changed?  Me.  How?  Because I made a decision to change.

"But Stacy, you make it sound so easy!  You make it sound like anyone can do it, that it just takes a decision, and how can that possibly by because if it were that easy then everyone could do it."

Exactly.  Everyone can do it.  I will never waver from being absolutely convinced that everyone can do it.  But not everyone does.

CAN everyone brush their teeth?  Yes.  DOES everyone brush their teeth?  Perhaps not.  CAN everyone pursue happiness in their lives?  Yes.  DOES everyone pursue happiness in their lives?  No.  CAN everyone strive for Optimal Health?  Yes.  DOES everyone strive for Optimal Health?  No.  One lap around Costco on Sample-Sundays will dispel any notion that EVERYONE strives for optimal health.

And I was once one of those super-obese individuals lining up for the cheesecake samples.  I had given up that I had it in me to strive for health.  I was not in a scooter on oxygen yet, but at 40  years old my knees were to the point where I walked occasionally with a cane.  I still have the cane.  I kept it.  I woke up every day wondering how in the world this fat suit came to dwell on my body.  I felt completely detached from my body, like I was observing this massive lumbering entity straining to get in and out of her car, like an out-of-body experience.  My son called my "Sully" after the big blue monster on Monsters Inc.  Yes.  Did I have a reason to be depressed?  Yes, but it was a reason of my own making.  I did that to myself.  Me.  And when I took FULL responsibility for the poor health choices I had made up until that point, when I at the same time FORGAVE myself for doing that to myself, when I realized that I was a VALUABLE person no matter what my size, coupled with the HOPE that I truly had a tool to be able to accomplish what had eluded me for SO LONG......

Health.

When I was ready to decide, the decision took about as much time as a heart beat.

The decision to wake up every day and strive for optimal health.

The decision to keep a short record of my failings, to forgive myself often, to love myself and to value myself as worthy of the effort.

The decision to stop, challenge, and choose on a daily and hourly basis only those things that would take me closer to my goal of optimal health.

Was I perfect?  No.  Is anyone?  Perhaps, but I was not.  What I WAS was DETERMINED and PERSISTENT.  I was a bull-dog.  If I stumbled I would pick myself right back up move along toward health again.

Pity?  Self loathing?  Martyr mentality?  Nope.  Nope.  Nope.

Entitlement?  Perfection Mentality?  All-or-nothing mindset?  Killing myself at the gym?  Nope.  Nope.  Nope.  Nope.

What, then?

Accountability.  Support.  Incorporating Dr. A's Habits of Health into my life incrementally, sustainably, daily.  Making the decision to be a master of my body, not the other way around.  Self-Mastery.  This is a concept which was foreign to me until I learned it.  That I was actually able to be a master of my body, and not always live as a slave to it. 

This has been a long blog.  Kudos to you if you are still here.  It really is just me typing out my thoughts as I go.  Sort of as a record for myself.  Thanks for listening.

Rinse and Repeat!

No comments: