Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Honoring the Commitments we Make to Ourselves

Do you ever wonder why it is NO problem to honor the commitments we make to OTHER people, but when it comes to honoring commitments we make to OURSELVES, we so easily ditch them?

Why is that?  We honor commitments we make to other people because we value those relationships, we respect those people, and we want to be people of our word.

What do we say about OURSELVES when we tell ourselves "I'm going to be 100% on plan today" and then at the first sign of temptation, we pitch our commitment we made to ourselves out the window for a little bit of flour, sugar, fat or salt? 

It was fascinating to me to really look at my behavior and realize that what I was telling myself EVERY TIME I did that, was that I was NOT valuable.

People ask me all the time "well what will it hurt to have a glass of wine?"

I tell them "It's not just about what it will do to your plan, but it is what it will do to your commitment." 

The more times we TELL ourselves we are GOING to do something, and then we DON'T do it, we are disrespecting ourselves and devaluing ourselves.

So make sure that you treat yourself with respect and value!  Keep your word to yourself, and not only will you find success on your plan and move towards optimal health, but you will do so with joy and ease. 

Rinse and Repeat!

No comments: