Saturday, June 22, 2013

One Little Bite Won't Matter!

If this were a calorie-counting game, then perhaps that one little off-plan bite wouldn't matter.

But it is no game.

This is your life.  And your health.  And you began this plan with hopes and dreams of being successful.

How is that working out for you?

Are you among those who start something all gung-ho, then after a few weeks or months become bored with it?  And hence, don't finish what you started?

I think all of us can relate to that in some areas of our lives.

Take me, for example.  I, like most 18-year olds, started college directly after High School.  I went two years, then decided not to go anymore.  I was a late bloomer, I didn't know what I wanted to do.  Because I didn't know what I wanted out of the process, what the end result would be, my performance in college for those first two years was lack-luster at best.

In fact, it was downright poor.  Here I was, a former National Honor Student (High School) "Gifted" student, leaving Arizona State University on academic probation because of my 1.4 cummulative GPA.  Yes.  You read that right.  1.4.

I get chills thinking about it, but you see, I did not have a real goal.

My goal of "to go to college" wasn't enough to sustain me actually doing the work OF college in a way that was inspiring to anyone, let alone me.

I'd skip classes.  You see, one day of one class really didn't matter when you took the whole semester as a whole.  Or did it?  I wouldn't study.  You see, I was of the mindset that "C's get degrees".  Although I wasn't holding my expectation of myself even up to the "C" level, obviously, with a cumulative GPA of 1.4.

Paying attention in class?  Boring.  Back then we didn't have all these Ipad gizmos to distract us.  If we had, I'm sure I would have been BOOTED out of college instead of CHOOSING to stop my college education. 

I didn't have a goal.  I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up.

What is your goal on this plan?  Are you here to "just lose weight" or do you have Optimal Health as your fixed point on the horizon?  Because without a POSITIVE goal to work toward, you will likely struggle with the plan as I struggled with college those first 2 years.  And "To lose weight" is about as inspiring as "to be in college".  College for college-sake is not the best way to go about it, neither is "losing weight for losing weight-sake" going to inspire you to do your best every day.

In fact, it may leave you with the attitude that "this little bite won't matter".  Your calorie GPA may be bordering on 1100-1200 some days, and you are wondering why you aren't losing weight "eating only 1100-1200 calories".  I'll tell you why you aren't losing weight, because you aren't DOING the Medifast 5&1 Plan as written.  You have modified it.  Just as I modified my college experience to suit me at the time.  And it didn't fulfill it's intended purpose. 

My college story ends well, in case you were wondering.  After heading to Bible School in Europe for a 1-year Bible Certificate, then meeting my hubby and taking a few years to re-evaluate my education goals, I re-enrolled at Arizona State and finished my Bachelor of Science in Human Nutrition.  If I remember correctly, I graduated with a GPA of 3.49, just one-tenth of one percent below Cume Laude.  It's amazing what having a positive goal can do for someone's moral, performance, and dedication.  Sure I was on the 12-year plan for a 4-year degree.  But it got done.  I finished well.

How are YOU on this plan?  What is YOUR goal?  Have you lost sight of why you are doing this in the first place?  Are you in danger of stopping because you are frustrated with how things are going and your morale and your motivation seems non-existent?

I'm here to tell you that you can turn that around in a heart-beat, develop a positive goal about what you hope to create, to achieve, with this amazing tool and this amazing process, and then you can EXCEL in your performance, your dedication, and your dreams. 

But that little bite?  That one you think won't matter?  Look at it as skipping class.  Skipping assigments.  Not doing the work.  Because it is the equivalent.  And what it indicates is that you have lost sight, momentarily, of your primary goal.  And that is far more dangerous, a far more worry, than how many calories this little bite has in it.  Trust me on that one.

Rinse and Repeat!

No comments: