Wednesday, March 13, 2013

What Happens When I Just Don't Wanna?

Do you ever just wake up one morning and NOT wanna "do this anymore?"

The difference between success and NOT success is overcoming this in your journey when it arises, because it WILL arise.  The morning you think, despairingly, "I am so tired of doing this.  I just wanna be normal.  I just don't wanna have to care all of the time.  Am I going to have to live 'like this' for the rest of my life?"

When I wake up with those thoughts, I know I have a choice to make.  I know that my inner-brat is trying to assert herself into my life again, and is trying to make my decisions for me again.  And I know where that leads ultimately.  I KNOW where that leads.  And I'm not going back there.

So what do we do when this happens?

Ignore the thoughts.  Act in a manner which agrees with the direction that we have determined to go.  Which IS towards HEALTH.

"I don't wanna do this anymore" sounds like my 8 year old when he, well, when he doesn't want to do something he should be doing anymore.  And I, as the responsible parent, sit him down and discuss with him that great truth from a quote from The Gladiator "Sometimes I do what I WANT to do.  The rest of the time I do what I HAVE to do."

We love movies at our house.

But that truth is pretty universally applied in our lives when we cease being small and petulant, and begin being adults. 

And taking charge of our health and our lives which had, up until Medifast, been out of control, is a very mature and adult-like decision.  So let's put on our big-girl panties (or big-boy panties....wait...pants?) and get this job done. 

Let's understand the right relationship to have with food.  It isn't meant to entertain us.  Haven't we been entertained enough?  I know I felt like a circus clown myself, that one who wears the brightly colored clothing and the big red nose, but the face paint is of a sad clown with a tear rolling down her cheek?  Yes, that was me.  That isn't entertainment.  We also can't use food as comfort.  I was not comfort-able with my chest resting on the steering wheel as I drove.  I was not comfort-able not being able to fit the seat belt of my Volvo around my girth, and wondering if they sold seat belt extensions for automobiles.  We can't use food for a substitute for love.  I have a wonderful husband and child who love me, and whom I love.  People are for love.  Food is not.  We can't use food as a numbing-out tool.  Yes, our relationship with food must necessarily change in this process.  And if it does not, we will not change either.  Our minimal weight losses will be short-lived at best.

So what do YOU want?  Are YOU oriented towards health?  Or oriented towards food?

YOU decide.

Rinse and Repeat!

No comments: