Sunday, March 18, 2007

Folks gone

My folks are gone, it is Sunday, and life is movin' along. I had two really good days of dieting after Thursday night's debauchery, and I am slowly losing the 4 lbs I had gained. I took my folks/niece to the airport yesterday, and it was all I could do to keep myself from having a Vodka shot when I got home, to help me decompress. My wonderful friends talked me off the ledge, and I'm grateful to them.

I've never been an alcoholic, but drinking is really an old coping mechanism of mine. I am a new person with this weight loss, and my habits need to change if I am to succeed in getting to my goal and keeping it off for a lifetime. So. Drinking was an OLD coping mechanism, a coping mechanism that helped get me to 266 1/2 lbs to begin with. I don't do that anymore. I used to be able to down 2 bottles of Mike's Hard Lemonade lickety split, and then I was good for the night. It took the edge off, y'know? There is no distraction like alcohol. Well, I guess Thursday night I dove off back into that coping mechanism which altered my judgement for the rest of the night. You know what I learned? The biggest thing I remember, and I think I blogged this during my last entry...is that I like Medifast Chocolate Pudding better than Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream. I know. Crazy. My tastes have actually changed! I am so happy.

So, turned a positive out of a negative, and used the opportunity to yet learn something else about myself. And another thing I learned is that my body will ALWAYS be prone to gaining weight. ALWAYS. I'll have to be vigilant my WHOLE LIFE. I could be bitter about that, or "poor me" -ish, but what would that accomplish? NOTHING! NADA! So, I move on.

Today I ran again. I took a 1 week break from running while my folks were here, but I am back full force now. I am in week 7 of the "couch potato to 5K in 9 weeks" program. It's great...I was supposed to run for 25 minutes today, but I ran for 28. I skipped ahead to see what week 8 was going to have in store for me, and learned that there are 3 runs of 28 minutes each for week 8. So, I think I wanted to prove to myself early on that I could do it so as to minimize the anxiety I feel this week in preparation of next week. I know, I'm a freak. But it felt good. The best thing about Daylight Savings Time coming early is the fact that it is so light so late now. Duh, that's why they did it. But what it means for me is that I get to run after Dave gets home now during the WEEK, and I don't have to do three runs in three days Friday-Sunday anymore. I can actually take a day off (atleast) in between runs. That will be great, will let my body recover more.

Well, that's it for now. Time to go take a hot bubbly bath.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Stacy. Thanks for your clandestine message. Yes, I have my walking clothes on, but I can't leave yet, because my daughter's "boyfriend" is here and I don't want to leave them alone. I trust them, but I don't trust them. hehe

I know you've been struggling this week, but it' o k. It has probably been tremendously stressful having your parents there this week. Even when, and especially when you love them desperately, it is still stressful.

You know you will do better leaving the alcohol alone. Thank goodness it is not "acceptable" in my religious tradition. I have been tempted many times, just looking for something to "take the edge off" as you said. Instead, I've used sugar to take the edge off.

I lost my youngest uncle to alcoholism about 5 years ago, and my brother lost his family and business due to alcohol abuse. So, I guess that has helped me leave it alone.

Didn't mean to give you an alcohol lecture, because I actually don't have a problem with people drinking in moderation. But I'm just confirming with you that it will not help you get to goal. Right? Right!!

Hugs back to you! ~Jen

p.s. My email is jcpinkston@yahoo.com if you ever want to email me. :)

Anonymous said...

I am glad to see that you were able to catch yourself and get back to MF. I longed for an Irish beer on Saturday. If I would have been out for dinner I am sure that I would have caved.

Man oh man did I crave peanut butter this past weekend. Somehow I got thru. I can't wait to be able to have it again. I keep telling myself that I can have it in 2 months if I stick to the plan.

Take care! I miss you on the MF site!

Anonymous said...

I forgot to say, I like your pic. It is very cute of the two of you!