Sunday, April 28, 2013

We Aren't "Good" When We are On Plan, or "Bad" When We Aren't.

One of the mind-shifts that HAD to happen for me in my journey towards focusing on OPTIMAL HEALTH instead of focusing on foods and the scale was the mind-shift of de-classifying foods as "good" or "bad", and declassifying ME as "good" or "bad" depending on what my plan looked like on any given day.

Food is not a moral decision.  I am not "good" when I'm eating something particular, and "bad" when I'm eating something ELSE. 

This part of my process was so important, I cannot stress it enough.  Because part of the addict-cycle in me was FED by being a little bit "bad" every once in awhile.  Why?  So the whole SHAME process could kick in.  So that I could do a little SELF LOATHING while I was at it, and call myself all sorts of horrible things in my mind.  Which would continue to feed that cycle.  Which would see me be EXTRA GOOD for a few days or weeks, just to be EXTRA BAD again and start that feel-bad process all over again.

So I realized that it was not serving me to view what I ate as a moral decision, and tie my self-worth to whether or not I had a piece of chocolate cake.

It was an intentional decision to begin re-framing those choices.  I began to view them as a timeline.  I put "What I really want-Optimal Health" on one end of the timeline, and "Where I came from" (morbidly obese, walking with a cane, not able to fit in the turnstiles at Disneyworld) on the other end of the timeline.

I began to view every "Stop, Challenge, Choose" decision as a direction arrow on that timeline.  If I chose that which would allow me to attain and maintain a healthy weight, that arrow moved me closer to what I say I want.  If I chose to partake in something that was not on my eating plan, it was viewed as an arrow pointing the other direction and moving me a little farther AWAY from that which I said that I wanted.

Taking these choices out of the realm of moral decisions helped me realize that what I eat truly isn't GOOD or BAD.  And eating what I eat doesn't make me a GOOD or BAD person.

It took the guilt, the shame, the self-loathing, all of those things OUT of my journey.  Because I'm unconditionally loved, and I'm a valuable Person, Mom, and Wife REGARDLESS of what I eat.  And I want health because I want to be the best Person, Mom and Wife that I can be!  The best version of myself.  Running on all cylinders.  Living my best life.  And you can too!

Try it!  You may like the results! 

Rinse and Repeat!

No comments: