Friday, April 26, 2013

Two Sides of the Same Coin - The Difference Between "Ease" and "Joy"

Does it ever get easier?  Is this always going to be so hard?

That is a question I have struggled with myself in the past, and occasionally entertain even now.  For a few minutes.

Then I remember that there is a difference between "ease" and "joy".

This journey is hard.  This journey is my "thorn in my flesh", the thing that keeps me humble, the thing that keeps me on my knees and asking for grace and strength to get me through. 

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. 

There are days I just really really really "want" something that is not going to serve my health interests.  I find myself leaving the "acceptance" state and bouncing in to denial, anger, bargaining or depression.  I realize at those times that my success comes in the speed at which I can work myself deliberately back in to acceptance.  Because my body will never process extra calories or extra processed carbs in any other way EXCEPT to store them as fat.  And I can either continue WANTING that junk, and be miserable, or CHANGE MY WANTS and choose joyful acceptance.  Of course there IS a third alternative, which is to gain all my weight back AND be miserable but excuse me if I don't find that option very appealing.  And I am committed to making sure it is never a viable option. 

Joyfully.

Why joy?  Because we can feel sorry for ourselves and grow weary of the struggle...and then we can RECOGNIZE that is what we are doing, REMEMBER to remember WHO WE ARE (we are amazing individuals who have overcome amazing obstacles!), and continue to move joyfully in the direction of health.

Joy?  Why joy?  Because I am a miserable person to live with/be with when I am skulking around the house with a sad face because I have been wanted the things that will make me fat again.

Why is that?  That stuff is junk!  That stuff brings unhappiness with it every time I try it!  That stuff is....a drug.

And I'm a recovering addict to that drug.  So when I can reclassify the "stuff" as junk, garbage, a deadly substance, etc, then I really can make the choice to move towards health.

But I've got to STOP focusing on what I DON'T want (well, that I don't WANT to want) and START focusing on what I DO want.

I want to be continuing, day by day, month by month and year by year, to be moving TOWARDS optimal health and fitness, not away from it.

And I can joyfully do that.  Joyfully.  Do.  That. 

By focusing on what I am creating instead of what I think I am "missing".

So what is your choice today?  Are you "creating optimal health" or are you on a diet?  Because the diet mindset will bring you cravings and all the deprivation emotions that cause us to feel sorry for ourselves.  But the creating optimal health mindset says "I GET to do this!" not "I HAVE to do this!"

Which will it be for you today?  Choose wisely!

Rinse and Repeat!

No comments: