Saturday, April 20, 2013

THE TURNSTILES!! THE FREAKING TURNSTILES!!!

So here at the Conference Center we are staying at they have an amazing water park.  And this water park has turnstiles at the entry/exit point.

A little history:

In 2009 my husband and then-4-year-old son (who had a kidney transplant the year before) went on my son's "Make-A-Wish" trip to Disneyworld. 

At that time I weighed 272 pounds, and could not fit through the turnstiles.  I was humiliated by myself and my condition when they had to open the stroller gate for me.  Yes.  I was too wide and too thick even to go through sideways without getting stuck.  Yes I tried first.

So that being said, fast forward to yesterday.  Our group went to the water park to have part of our meeting there, and I don't even know if I've BEEN through turnstiles since 2009.  I have avoided them like the plague.

So, I approached the turnstiles, turned sideways, and scooted past them WITHOUT EVEN TOUCHING the metal swing part.  Yes.  Didn't even touch it.  Cleared it by an inch.  I was amazed at the difference.

I am in such a healthier place physically, yes.  But I am ALSO in a much healthier place emotionally and mentally.  You see, this process is not a "diet".  If you approach it as such it will not work long term for you.  Well, if you are in the 5% that can maintain their weight after DOING a DIET, then maybe.  But that is the vast MINORITY of people.

No, this is a way of life.  An orientation.  Toward health.  Attaining a healthy weight was only the first step in the process.  So many times, in "diets", the end-all beat-all goal is "to lose weight". 

BO-RING!

I wanted to CREATE health in my life.  And I did it.  And you can too.  Anyone can, but it's not "just" about "eating the food".  It is about CHANGING YOUR MIND.

Wow.  And yes, I did shed a little tear after realizing the enormity of my accomplishment.  And yes, this is my little pat on the back.  Because every day my life gets better and better.  Every day. 

Are you surrounding yourself with like-minded people?  I am swamped by them this weekend and I'll tell you it's like going into an oxygen bar and BREATHING in energy!  Surround yourself with like-minded people, not people who will drag you down, tear you down, or wish for your failure.  If you do that, you will realize that anything you can imagine IS possible.  And it is.  Even going through a turnstile without touching the turns.  =)

No comments: