Tuesday, February 11, 2014

There will always be reasons "not to" do something.

Especially if we keep generating and updating that list of reasons.

Do you ever make decisions on things you can or can't accomplish based on your fear of what "might" happen?  Or your fear that you "might not" succeed in the endeavor?

I find that any decision I make which has fear at its root is USUALLY NOT the decision that was the best for me.

Fear. 

We fear many things, but what we ought to fear is FEAR.  Fear paralyzes us sometimes in DOING the very things we need to do to live a life of health and contentment.

Have you ever said this to yourself?  "I'm afraid to lose the weight because I don't want to gain it back again."

I can resonate with this fear.  I did lose the weight.  I did gain it back again.  ALL of it.  It didn't kill me.  What it DID accomplish in my life is to let me KNOW that I COULD do it.

Do you see that?  The take-away lesson I learned was that I COULD lose the weight, not that I FAILED when I gained it back again.  So I took what I COULD do and I built upon that. 

I knew I COULD lose the weight on the Medifast 5&1 program.  I also knew in the second go-around that TRANSITION and MAINTENANCE were NOT "tack-on add-on if-I-feel-like-it-when-I'm-done-with-this-diet" options.  They were MANDATORY.  Transition is WHERE WE LEARN what to eat for the rest of our lives.  All these endless debates about whether or not this plan truly teaches you how to eat etc etc are absolutely pointless when you don't factor in TRANSITION AND MAINTENANCE.  Of COURSE the 5&1 doesn't "teach you how to eat for the rest of your life" unless you plan on spending the REST OF YOUR LIFE TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT!  The 5&1 serves a very specific purpose.  Firstly, it has the science of fat burning DOWN and you will achieve this if you follow it diligently all of the time.  Secondly it teaches you to eat 6 times a day, and drink plenty of water. 

And many of us HAVE TO LEARN THIS because we have never done that prior to entering this plan.  We don't know how to take time for ourselves when we begin the 5&1.  We are used to taking care of everyone else and massively neglecting OURSELVES.  Taking time for ourselves is the FIRST skill we learn on the 5&1 because the schedule is non-negotiable if you want success.  And I even hear people complaining that they can't take 10 minutes every 3 hours for themselves. 

Hogwash. 

I don't care what profession you are in, or what concepts you THINK you have, you are not SO NEEDED EVERY SINGLE MINUTE that you can't take a bathroom break and eat a bar while you are at it every 3 hours. 

If you are booking yourself so solid that you can't take care of your basic needs, and I DO mean your BASIC "put-on-your-oxygen-mask" needs every 3 hours, then do stop now and just stay exactly where you are in your health because maintenance isn't for you either.  Honestly.  I can't convince you that you are worth the effort it takes to organize your schedule around success on this plan.  I can tell you the reasons why you are but until you GRASP that fact on your own, I can't convince you otherwise.  So believe it.  Then do it. 

But if you aren't willing to do the basic schedule that the Medifast 5&1 calls for, I just don't have any additional advice for you.  =)

It reminds me of a sketch by Brian Regan on Pop-tarts.  Here is the sketch on YouTube:







A little levity to make us laugh.  But it's true, isn't it?  The bars, bites, pretzels and puffs couldn't be easier to eat!  So I don't buy the "I don't have time to eat 6 times a day" argument, and if you are telling that to yourself, I urge you to rethink your assumptions about your day.  =)

YOU are worth it.  And it is a basic building block towards optimal health.  So, no, you won't be ON the 5&1 for the "rest of your life" you will attain a healthy weight and you will transition to maintenance.  And as I said above, transition and maintenance are a schooling unto their own.  But it is EASY to understand and SIMPLE to do, so don't FEAR it!  =)

Have a wonderful, productive, healthy day my friends!

No comments: