Monday, February 17, 2014

A Tale of Two Mornings

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

Don't you sometimes feel like that when you wake up in the morning, fully dependent on the type of day you had the previous day?

I can go from one extreme emotion to the other, and it is fully related to whether or not I stayed on plan the previous day.

You know the feeling.  Being pulled out of dreamland and almost before you are even conscious you are awake that feeling of dread, that feeling of disappointment, that feeling of failure, that feeling of anger, that feeling of utter hopelessness and darkness that floods into your brain because you remember even before you remember that you made choices last night that were, ah, shall we say, NOT optimal as regards your eating and drinking decisions?

Yes.  I've been there.  I've battled those feelings.  I've attempted to rally myself and try, yet again, to tell myself that today is a new day.  But there is always that overriding feeling the next day that you are living in the shadow of the mountain of doom.  Y'know?  And let's face it, it is tough to recover from one off plan day, because you almost don't feel like you DESERVE to be healthy at that point.  Right?  You've felt that before I know you have, if you are reading this blog.

I have a message for you.  It is a message of hope. 

THE SPEED at which you can pull out of those feelings of doom by TELLING YOURSELF THE TRUTH about yourself and your journey IS the determining factor of HOW and WHEN you will become a picture of health.

What do I mean?  I mean exactly this:  So you were off plan yesterday.  So what?  It doesn't make you a failure or a bad person.  It was simply a CHOICE.  Now, you can CHOOSE to be ON plan TODAY. 

OR, you can stay in your emotional sinkhole, drifting further and further down, regaining more and more of your weight.

So this was supposed to be a blog about TWO mornings. 

The second morning involves waking up from a day where you have been 100% ON PLAN.  This day, even before your eyelids open, you feel a sense of accomplishment.  A sense of peace and well-being that you are, in fact, DOING (emphasis on DOING...not THINKING about doing, not PLANNING on doing, not WISHING you were doing, ACTUALLY doing!) everything you can to choose health.  You are utilizing every tool in your little toolbox.  What does that look like?  Well, for TSFL it looks like this, and this is what I do when I am utilizing every tool in my toolbox:

1)  Remaining coachable, teachable, and staying accountable to my coach
2)  Eating within 30 minutes of waking, and every 2-3 hours throughout the day
3)  If I have exercise on my docket for the day, I make it happen
4)  I drink 90 ounces of water
5)  I weigh my lean protein choice
6)  I measure my vegetables (yes, I do!)
7)  I get to bed at a proper time to ensure I get atleast 7 hours of sleep
8)  I read a little bit of Dr. A's Habits of Health on a daily basis, straight through from start to finish, starting over when I reach the end, making notes in the margin and contemplating what I am reading thoughtfully.  It's the same way I read my Bible, actually. 

So, it is amazing what a difference it makes waking up from an OFF plan day and waking up from an ON plan day.  I have done both with some regularity.  I prefer waking up from on ON plan day.  Sometimes, at night, if I am tempted by the wine, or the blue cheese, or the chocolate (my go-to OFF plan choices), I will simply STOP, CHALLENGE what I want to FEEL like tomorrow when I wake up, and CHOOSE that which will allow me to wake up with a clear and hopeful conscience.

Because, lining up ON PLAN days will move me CLOSER to what I have SAID that I want.  If I don't consistently ACT in a manner which will move me closer to what I have SAID I want, then I must not really want it.  Right?  Because we usually get what we want.

So, if you are finding yourself lining up more OFF plan days than ON plan days these days, perhaps it is, truly, time to re-evaluate WHAT YOU WANT.   I hope it is health.  =)

Have a happy, healthy, ON PLAN day my friends!

Rinse and Repeat!

No comments: