Thursday, May 9, 2013

A Layering upon Layering of Healthy Habits....Until the easier path IS that of health

I often get the question "But does it EVER get any EASIER?"

And here is my answer.  It is ALWAYS going to be pretty difficult to hold your breath under water.  Some people can hold their breath longer than others. 

The answer?  Become a fish. 

Eating in any other way BUT in a healthy way has become as foreign to me as being a fish out of water. 

The "water" in this analogy is the way my body has processed and always WILL process "junk".  It stores it as fat.  So does it make any sense to me to go through the process of attaining a healthy weight, only to say "but will I ever be able to eat a cupcake again?"

My answer now is I don't want the cupcake.

I just lost about 3/4's of you, I know I did but let me explain.

I have spent the last 2 years of my life dedicated to incrementally adopting Habits of Health into my life.  Seemingly small improvements, repeated daily, which have had stunning results.  And this discipline, this intentionality by which I have conducted my journey has paid off in a way that I never could have imagined when I began the process. 

For me, now, the easier path IS the healthy path.  I have been intentional to form NEW ruts in the road, and my tires PREFER to follow the NEW ruts that I have developed intentionally over time which ARE habits of health.

I can tell you from my heart as I sit here at sunset in Gilbert Arizona on my front lawn having just enjoyed an amazing salad for my "green" that I am at peace and I am content with this process. 

I really wish this for all of you, and you can ALL have it.  How?

By adopting the Habits of Health into your own lives, one at a time, bit by bit.  By repeating those seemingly small, incremental improvements day after day, week after week, and reaping the benefit of stunning results.  You CAN do this!

I was reading an exerpt today from a book by Sue Monk Kidd called "All things are possible" and I noticed that I had read this exerpt before, and even put a date next to it.  The date was March 2009.  I remember that in 2009 I was morbidly class IV Super Obese, having gained the 140 pounds I had recently lost back again, plus 4 more pesky pounds to boot.  I felt hopeless.  I felt powerless to effect a real lasting change in my life.  And then I read these words, and they must have impacted me greatly because I don't usually mark up my books.  Here is that exerpt:

"One summer day I walked alone along Horseshoe Beach in Bermuda where great rocky boulders dot the shoreline, and I came upon a most unusual rock towering at the water's edge.  There was a hole right through the center, so large that the rock resembled a hoop.  How peculiar, I thought.  However did it get that way?  I watched the water as it splashed upon the rock- wave after wave, spilling through the opening like a fountain.  And then I understood.  Water had worn the hold through the rock.  Water!  I knelt down to dip my  hand into the surf, amazed that something as yielding and pliable as water could penetrate something as hard and unyielding as stone.  What mystery and magic! 
Yet, as I saw the waves return again and again, I understood that it was not the water but the persistence of the sea that had made a way through the impossible.  Arising, I continued on my walk, and I began to think of how easily I have sometimes given up on problems or dreams that seemed just to hard, too impenetrable.  And there on the lonely beach it seemed that God had just reaffirmed to me one of life's most important truths.  it IS possible, with persistence, to make a way through barriers.  Persistent prayer.  Persistent love.  Persistent hope.  PERSISTENT EFFORT.  The mystery and magic of overcoming very often lie in the simple art of keeping at it.

...But he that endureth to the end shall be saved.  - Matthew 10:22"
Become a fish.  Be at home IN the water.  Again and again if you have to.  Practice contentment with the limitations your body has imposed upon you.  Practice joy.  Practice acceptance.  Do the work.  Again and again.  Again and again.  Never give up. 

No comments: