Tuesday, March 11, 2014

I can't even relate to the old "me!" anymore!

I have spent some time reading my blogs from 2007.  These were the blogs from my first time on plan.  The time I lost 140 pounds in 14 months and felt GREAT, but I hadn't adopted healthy habits as my own.  I was in "diet" mode.  I was totally pumped, and maintaining my self-discipline through sheer will and motivation in order "to lose weight".

Reading those blogs now made it sound like a complete stranger wrote them.  My life is so different now, my mentality is so different now.

You see, I learned (by gaining it all back) that if my focus was ONLY on LOSING THE WEIGHT then once that task was done, I couldn't sustain my "motivation" in order to KEEP it off.  Sheer white-knuckle will-power will only get us so far, and then we have to come up for air.  We can only hold our breath for so long.

But this last journey, the one I began 4 years ago in 2010 with a coach and learning the habits of health, THIS is the journey where I actually CHANGED my oxygen, I CHANGED who I was, and I FOCUSED on attaining and maintaining OPTIMAL HEALTH.

So, so so so SO different.  SUCH a different process.  SUCH a different result.  "Did you lose the weight?" people ask....

No.  I BECAME OPTIMALLY HEALTHY and I am moving in to ULTRA HEALTH.  Big big difference. 

"Oh, so you DIDN'T lose the weight?"

Again, I say NO.  I didn't LOSE anything.  I CREATED health in my life.  I GAINED optimal health.  I'm absolutely DONE with talking about weight loss.  It is a negative goal.  It is something people want OUT of their lives.  I'm in to talking about what I want IN my life.  What I want to CREATE with this process of getting healthy.

"Well then what's the point of 'dieting'?"

I don't diet.  This last journey was NOT a diet.  It was an eating plan that I used to attain a healthy weight.  Because when you are after Optimal Health, and you are overweight or obese, the very FIRST STEP is getting to a healthy weight.  Unless you smoke, and then quitting smoking is actually the first step, THEN attaining a healthy weight.

But getting to a healthy BMI is the FIRST STEP in the process of attaining and maintaining optimal health!  So it isn't a "weight loss diet" and THIS is the key difference.  It may sound like tricky words and a fancy way of saying the same thing, but it truly at its CORE isn't.  And I am more than confident that I will MAINTAIN OPTIMAL HEALTH.

Do you see what I said?  I didn't say I would "keep it off".  I said I would "maintain optimal health".  Again, saying I'll "keep it off" puts the focus BACK on the weight I wanted to LOSE, and the fact that I wanted it GONE FOR GOOD.  Again, NEGATIVE GOAL.  Non-sustainable.

I am ALL about what AWESOME things I am bringing IN to my life as a result of getting healthy.  I'm NOT about what I want to KEEP OUT of my life or ESCAPE from. 

See the difference?

It makes all the difference in the world to me.  One is fear based.  One is hope based. 

"Keeping it off" is fear based.  It implies that I might gain back what I worked so hard to get out of my life. 

"Maintaining optimal health" is hope based.  It speaks of potential and promise and health.  All the things I want to keep IN my life.

People ask me what the difference is this time as opposed to last time.  The difference is my mindset.  So far I used the "same" eating plan.  Because it worked to achieve my goal.  But my goals were very different.  First time = lose weight
Second time = gain health

Thank you TSFL for giving me ALL the tools I needed to Gain Health.  I am living proof that anyone CAN do this.

My life has changed in very practical ways, some of which I list below.  All because I chose to attain and maintain optimal health.

FROM:  Size 26 Women's Stretch Jeans 
TO:  Size 2 Tommy Hilfigger, Levi's, and Polo Jeans

FROM:  Size 24W Dresses from Dress Barn, Catherine's, and Lane Bryant
TO:  Size 2 Dresses from Nordstrom's

FROM:  Walking with a cane because my knees hurt so bad
TO:  Running a Marathon

FROM:  Getting stuck in the turnstiles at Disneyland
TO:  Slipping through the turnstiles sideways without even engaging the metal bar

FROM:  Salespeople avoiding my gaze
TO:  Salespeople greeting me right when I walk through the door

FROM:  Having 13 sizes of clothing in my closet ranging from 2-26
TO:  Having everything in my closet fit, and only having 2-4's hanging in my closet.

Life is good in health.  Get here as fast as you can!  =)

Rinse and Repeat!

No comments: