Thursday, September 19, 2013

Developing a Strong Sense of WHO I AM, and Fundamental Choice

Looking back on my journey to Ultra Health I see many things that have been different "this time".  Different by design.  Different with intention.  Not accidentally different, not "I hope that someday I will...." different.

I've become an active participant in my health journey, not a powerless bystander just watching events unfold.

One of the things that I have changed on this journey is that I refused to stay the person who I was before.  I knew that if I did not change some core fundamentals of how I viewed me, and how I viewed the world, and indeed how I viewed optimal health in general, that I would end up gaining my weight back AGAIN, provided I lost it AGAIN in the first place!

So, I stayed connected with my Health Coach for accountability and support, and I bought a journal (a really nice one!), and began intentionally reading Dr. A's Habits of Health to find out WHO this person was who I wanted to be.  This healthy person.  This person who I knew was inside of me, just waiting to come out.

How did I know she was inside of me?  Because I was severely unhappy with who I had become, at Class IV Super Obese, weighing 272 pounds and walking with a cane.  So much so that it pained me to look in mirrors.  I felt like I didn't exist, I felt like I had nothing positive to contribute to the world or my community, to my family or even, really to myself. 

And something inside me knew that was a lie.  And something inside me knew that in order to LIVE I needed to stop believing that LIE and BECOME the person I always knew that I COULD be, the person I MIGHT HAVE BEEN.  I had turned 40, and I knew that I was tired, already, of living a life of regrets. 

So, I submitted to the process fully.  I suspended my own ideas and my own judgment, because I knew that they were faulty as regards my own health, and I was willing to learn a new way of thinking.

This way of thinking is not hocus pocus magic fairy dust, but I can tell you that it absolutely changed my life AS IF it were.

This way of thinking takes some faith.  It took faith that I COULD be optimally and even ultra healthy.  That was a big hurdle, let me tell you.  Because if I relied on PAST performance as my frame of reference as to whether this was even POSSIBLE or not, I would have said "Nope.  Not.  Possible."

So I abandoned past performance altogether.  I ignored it.  I made a DECISION that I was going to be a HEALTHY person, and then guess what?  I started ACTING like it.  I started ACTING like I WAS a healthy person.  I began to explore the habits of health outlined in Dr. A's Book and implement them in my OWN life, because that is what healthy people do, they practice habits of health, NOT habits of disease.

Was I "perfect"?  No.  Because I also abandoned the "all-or-nothing" mentality that perfectionists employ as their main tool to justify inaction.

Did you know that?  Perfectionists often don't even ACT because if they can't do it PERFECTLY they don't want to do it at ALL.  In these cases, doing it "perfectly" becomes the goal and I didn't have room in my brain to play around with that stuff anymore.  I chose to risk some IMPERFECTION in my journey IN ORDER THAT I might attain Optimal Health.

I began to ask myself questions like "Who Am I?" and "What am I in the HABIT of doing?" and "Am I oriented TOWARDS health or AWAY from health on this day and with this decision?"

When I began to frame things NOT as a success/failure scenario, not as a "doing it perfectly" scenario, not as an "all-or-nothing" scenario and certainly not as a moral "good or bad" scenario, when I INSTEAD began to view everything in light of whether it would take me closer to the person I wanted to be or farther from her, THEN I began to adhere with joy to the Medifast 5&1 Plan.  Joy.  Not pain, not a sense of failure, not guilt, not even when I faltered.  It was all joyful.  If I fell, if I slipped on a banana peel because I temporarily lost sight of my primary goal of optimal health, I said "No worries Mate!  The next decision WILL be oriented towards health!" and I was consistent with THAT.  I didn't use those slips as excuses to say "well, I knew I couldn't do it perfectly so I will never succeed" because that is a LIE, it was the MAIN lie that I had been telling myself on past attempts "to lose weight". 

So who is this person that I wanted to be?  I had to really define her, I had to get specific about what she did and how she lived her life, so that I could do what she would do!

I decided that I wanted to be someone who was authentically healthy.  The real deal.  Someone who modeled health for her family and her community. I wanted to be a person who consistently made decisions that were healthy decisions, and bearing in mind my propensity to store extra calories as fat every time I consume them, I needed to make pretty rigid health decisions fairly consistently or I'd see the slow (or not so slow) creep back up the scale and in to UNhealthy habits.

It is really all about FUNDAMENTAL CHOICE.  In Chapter 4 of Dr. A's Habits of Health (page 28), he speaks of it this way:

"Fundamental choice is what defines our state of being.  It's where we stand.  I'ts our choice to be free and healthy.  It's what we're willing to fight for.  Let's take an example: Say you try to quit smoking, but you've never really made the fundamental choice to be a non-smoker.  Nothing will work, not even methods that others have found successful.  Soon you'll be back to your two-pack-a-day habit.  If, on th other hand, you do make the fundamental choice to be a nonsmoker, just about any method will work - and in fact you'll find yourself attracted to the methods that work particularly well.  It's the same with any fundamental choice.  Once you make the decision to be healthy, you've made it your business to act in accordance with your goal.  You are taking full responsibility for your actions rather than letting your circumstances drive your decisions.  You become the author of your own life story.  It's important to accept the fact that no one can do it for you.  Others can help with their advice, good wishes, guidance, experience, medical insight and understanding of human patterns and motivation.  But it will always come down to you.  If you're thinking "I'll do my best but it is really someone else's job to see to it that it works" then you haven't made this fundamental choice.  Most of us have been raised to rect to circumstances.  We haven't been taught to believe that we can adopt a fundamental, self-generated resolve.  But in fact this is how we take charge of our lives. - by realizing that, not matter the circumstances, no matter the temptation, we can do what we know is right because we've taken a stand for the choices we hold most important."

I made a fundamental choice that I was going to BE a healthy person.  Getting the excess weight off WAS a factor in that, but it isn't the ONLY factor, it is simply the FIRST factor.  My excess weight needed to be addressed FIRST AND FOREMOST because it was the biggest hindrance to me BEING a healthy person.  So I dealt with it by incorporating the habit of remaining on a clinically proven safe and effective plan designed to do JUST THAT.

Are YOU on the path to health?  Do you even WANT to be?  Are you willing to make a FUNDAMENTAL CHOICE to be optimally healthy?  If so, what can you do today to support that choice?  How will you act today which will AGREE with your fundamental choice?

If you begin to view every decision you make in light of this fundamental choice you will find this journey simple and joyful.  Simple.  Joyful.  Because when we really want something, when our "WHY" is strong enough, and we have the right tools, the HOW takes care of itself.

Rinse and Repeat!

No comments: