Sunday, July 28, 2013

Et tu, Frutas?

Saw a very interesting article in the August edition of National Geographic, which I do not have a subscription to but thought the cover story so intriguing that I bought a copy of the shelf at Costco yesterday.





On the cover is a cupcake.  The headline to the cover picture says "SUGAR:  Why we can't resist it"

The premise of the article is that our bodies have been designed to get by on very, very little fructose as a way that we survived 10,000 years ago.   However, with the refining of the sugar production process, and the manufacture of ever cheaper sugar which spread throughout the globe for the last 1000 years, and the fact that sugar hits our brain (always has) in the pleasure center similar to cocaine or heroine would, that it is a highly addictive substance.

So I submit to you, why in the world do we even ask the question "why am I addicted to sugar?"  It is biological.  There is no deep dark reason that we need to spend thousands of dollars on a therapy couch to try to dig up so that we THEN can do something about it.

It's a drug.  We're all addicted to some degree.  Those who practice self control and moderation who can say "no" to it have the same things going on in their brains when they eat it, but they don't allow it to dictate to THEM what their quality and length of life is allowed to be.

Those of us who end up in a situation where we need Medifast/TSFL likely got there, in part, because we had not developed the same restraint....yet.

So for me, what does this mean?  That I can forget about the "why" of why I am always drawn to "yummy food", and continue developing strategies of behavior modification which allow me to live the life I determine to live.  A vibrant life of health, activity, and peace with the process.  I have had to LEARN contentment (it is learned, as I discover, it is not given or handed out on a Sunday in Sunday school, I had to learn it the hard way, intentionally, and mindfully) in adjusting my behavior to my limitations physically, NOT pining away or complaining about the fact that I HAVE these physical limitations on what type of food, how often, or in what quantity I can eat.

Let's face it, as far as I'm concerned, when Eve was in the garden, what was her temptation?  A piece of yummy fruit.  Am I going to question WHY I want the yummy fruit?  NO.  I want it.  Of course.  So did she.  And she had a choice whether to eat it or not.  She failed to "Stop Challenge and Choose" and instead substituted her own judgment for that of "the plan" LOL I love this analogy!  =)

And look where it got her? 

So let me ask you, will you choose the yummy fruit?  Or will you choose health?  Will you choose the yummy sugar that hits your brain like cocaine and gets you temporary happiness but longterm misery?  Or will you choose to create vibrant health in your life?  Because it really is up to you.  And it is up to what you DECIDE to do TODAY.

Rinse and Repeat!

No comments: