Wednesday, January 9, 2013

True Freedom?

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Yes, that was me 2 1/2 years ago.  Falsely believing I was "free".

I could eat whatever I wanted, I argued.  I wasn't constrained by the bounds of any "diet".

I was fooling myself.  I was killing myself.  My freedom to "eat whatever I wanted" had become, quite literally, my prison walls.  My dungeon.  Sure.  I was free to "eat" what I wanted, as if this THIS freedom alone was the highest thing I could aspire to.  As if my "freedom" to eat what I wanted was the noblest freedom I owned.

Then I awoke from that nightmare of broken dreams. 

And I began to DO the work and SUBMIT to the plan and DROP the weight and....guess what?  I realized that I had been in a prison of my own making. 

I realized that the ULTIMATE freedom for MY situation was actually the freedom to choose restraint.  The freedom to choose to adopt the Medifast 5&1 and the Take Shape For Life System in order to truly achieve that which had thus far eluded me my entire life.

To attain and maintain a healthy weight.  To feel "normal" and alive.  To NOT have every thought and every desire be food-focused. 

To start living a life of MY choosing.

Yes, that German philosopher Goethe, he was surely on to something.

And I want to shout it to the world.

Happy Take-Shape-For-Life-ing!  Rinse and Repeat!

No comments: