Monday, January 21, 2013

As We Are Now, So Shall We BE....

As we are now, so shall we be.  This was a phrase that our College Bible School Principal often reminded us.  It was usually when we thought sleeping in was a better option than going to breakfast and the first class of the day.  Or when we would play practical jokes, such as turning all of the milk in the school's massive refrigerator different colors with food coloring.  Or when we procrastinated on getting a paper in.

As we are now, so shall we be.  Well, I am still pretty playful and have certainly done my share of practical jokes.  I still procrastinate.  I still set my alarm dutifully for 5:30 am and....don't....get.....up.  Just one more snooze, I think, I'll start getting up tomorrow.  I'll really do this thing tomorrow. 

And then I realize that tomorrow is just a BUNCH of "today beads" strung together on the necklace of life.  Yep.  Came up with that one all by  myself.  =)

Look I will level with you.  Pursuing optimal health is NOT easy.  But it IS simple.  It is taking your "today bead" and making it count.  If you repeated TODAY for the next 3 or 4 months, would you be CLOSER to your goal of optimal health or FARTHER FROM it?

Seriously?  Make an honest assessment as you read this blog.  What are you already planning on doing this afternoon or this evening that in your mind you may be justifying as "the last time" when you know full well that tomorrow never comes?

I don't know what world the REST of the population lives in, but in MY world there are ONLY a BUNCH of "todays".  Tomorrow never EVER comes, do you notice that? 

So what can you do TODAY so that ONE DAY you are "At your goal today?"  Because no matter if you have 5 pounds to lose or 500, if you remain on the Medifast 5&1 Plan as written in the Quick Start Guide with the Condiments/Healthy Fat expanded list, you WILL be at goal today.  Someday.

But if not?  If you are winging it, or deciding that  you aren't worth showing up for today in your own life, if that Sprinkles Cupcake*TM or Starbucks*TM CakePop is truly more important to you than your health, then your necklace of life may turn out to be even a bigger disappointment to you than you can imagine.

I know mine was.  Having lost and gained 140 pounds my necklace of life was looking like it was broken.  Every bead was in disrepair.  Every bead was cracked.  And so, with painstaking care, I got the support I needed, I adopted the Habits of Health incrementally over time, and repeating them every day I slowly took one cracked broken bead off one end of the necklace and strung one beautiful shiny brilliant bead of hope on the other end.  Every day.  One day at a time.  Allowing for the passage of time, and making good decisions TODAY ONLY. 

Soon enough my necklace was no longer a big disappointment to me.  Soon enough I realized that TODAY MATTERS.

Today matters.  YOU matter.  And that little voice that may be screaming at you that one little bite won't matter is lying to you.  EVERYTHING matters.  This is YOUR life.  And as you are NOW, so SHALL you be tomorrow.

Wishing every one of you success in your journey.  =)

*No Sprinkles Cupcakes or Starbucks Cakepops were harmed in the writing of this Blog.  And none WILL be today.  Not on my watch. =)

No comments: