Sunday, January 3, 2016

Just Found a Cool Article on "Life in the 1800's" and Some Thoughts....


Just found a cool article on "Life in the 1800's" and I was particularly interested in what they ATE back then. Here is what it said:

"Food: Because these innovations in transportation were still in their infancy in 1815, however, most Americans ate what they grew or hunted locally. Corn and beans were common, along with pork. In the north, cows provided milk, butter, and beef, while in the south, where cattle were less common, venison and other game provided meat. Preserving food in 1815, before the era of refrigeration, required smoking, drying, or salting meat. Vegetables were kept in a root cellar or pickled.For those who had to purchase their food, one record notes the following retail prices in 1818 in Washington, D.C.: beef cost 6 to 8 cents a pound, potatoes cost 56 cents a bushel, milk was 32 cents a gallon, tea 75 cents to $2.25 a pound. Shoes ran $2.50 a pair. Clothing expenses for a family of six cost $148 a year, though the record does not indicate the quality of the clothes."
We have come a long way with innovation and food production since then, and not all changes have been good! However, it really struck me how hard everyone had to work for their food.
My hubby and son recently finished the book "The Long Winter" as told by Laura Ingalls Wilder, of the Little House on the Prairie series, and listening to my husband read the book was eye-opening too!
Back then they ate what they grew. What they couldn't grow they bought at a small General Store in town, but during the blizzards and cold winters sometimes the journey into town was perilous so many of the families would move in to town or risk death by freezing or starvation. Even then, town resources dwindled, and they would pray for a thaw so they could get more wheat in the ground.
It struck me how beautifully God designed our bodies, to store fat in times of plenty and use it in times of need, or famine. This design has not changed, so with the abundance of food at our fingertips our bodies keep preparing and preparing and preparing for a famine that never comes! This is why our program is so effective, because it gives our bodies a REASON to use that stored energy. If you take the emotions and the shame or guilt out of the equation, our bodies are simply following the instructions we are giving them! We simply keep telling our bodies that this is a time of plenty (by the way we eat) and so our bodies keep saying "well, OK then, I'll just tuck this energy away for later, in case I need it!"



The solution is really to let our bodies embark on a "planned fast" so to speak, a CONTROLLED fast-like scenario which the weight loss portion of our Take Shape For Life Program does BEAUTIFULLY, in a clinically-proven effective and SAFE way.
Our bodies then RESPOND to these new instructions, and if we can get over ourselves and simply follow the plan (not easy, but "simple") amidst the constant barrage of calories our culture exposes us to ever day, we can attain a healthy weight!
Sometimes we disparage the process (I know I can!), and fall into a deprivation mindset, feel like victims of our program, and feel sorry for ourselves. I am vowing to myself that WHEN I do this, I remind myself of how our ancestors got by with such limited choices during those cold, hard winters. Pickled vegetables (if they had access to them), jerky-type meats (if they had access to them), some cornbread and butter (if they had access to them) and WOW talk about lack of variety! I have it SO EASY compared to them. I am going to consider myself a "Pioneer in my Health" and simply get down to the business of doing the plan, and doing the work. How about you? What are your hopes and dreams for yourself? Let's do this together!

Message me TODAY to get your Healthy 2016 Transformation going! Or e-mail me at: mycoachstacy@gmail.com

Got questions? I can answer them, and if I can't I can find someone who CAN!




No comments: