Thursday, July 24, 2014

Doing the DO When You're Not Feeling the FEEL OR Thinking the THINK

This program is very simple.  Deceptively so, actually.  Eat the food, drink the water, move your body a little bit each day.  Simple.

But it isn't EASY and here's why.  Sometimes our brains and our emotions seem to conspire against us in a perfect storm that takes us by surprise (or not).  You see, many times we don't FEEL like doing the plan, but we KNOW we need to because our brains are telling us to over-ride our feelings and just continue to follow the plan.  But what happens when we don't FEEL like doing the plan, and our brain hops on board with the rationalizations and AGREES with our emotions?

There is such thing as a WILL.  You see, the Mind and the Emotions are part of our make-up, but so is the WILL.  And at the times the  Mind and Emotions are in AGREEMENT with the Will then this program is simple AND it is EASY TOO.  When the Emotions jump ship and the Mind goes with them, when all that is left is your WILL, it is at THOSE times that you really find out whether you TRULY wanted this or not.

Recognizing your WILL and it's role in your journey is key.  It IS your "Why", and it is paramount to develop a solid "Why" when embarking on this journey to health.  Because truly, it is the only thing that will keep you on track when your mind and emotions just aren't playing nice with you and your goals.

I learned this on my marathon.  I knew there was a mind, will, and emotions, sure, but I don't know that I had ever truly EXPERIENCED the separation of the mind and the will before I passed mile 16 in Paris, France on April 6th.  I have always been a thinker, you see, and I sort of pride myself on being a rational thinker.  I'm also a persuasive thinker and can present persuasive arguments for just about anything, or so my GRE test told me last month (I scored pretty high for persuasive writing LOL...go figure....).  And usually my thoughts are on board with my will.  In fact, I can't think of a time that my thoughts were NOT on board with my will UNTIL the Paris Marathon.

Mile 16 came around and my emotions wanted to STOP and get on the support bus.  Then my MIND agreed with my emotions, and told me "You should really get on the support bus.  You made a great effort.  It's time to stop."  But I kept moving forward.  Again, my emotions welled up in me "STOP ALREADY!!" and my mind agreed "Yes, look, there is the support bus, do you REALLY think it's wise to go another 10 miles with permanent charlie horses in both legs from your hips to your heels?"  But I kept moving forward.  Taking the next step.  NOT getting in the bus.  KEEPING my arms down so the bus didn't think I was waving them to stop for me.  Taking the next step.

THAT was my will taking action.  Doing the work.  Taking the next step. 

So what is your will telling you about your journey to health?  Do you WANT to be healthy?  WHY do you want to be healthy?  Because there WILL be times on your journey where your emotions AND your mind are ready to throw in the towel and quit.  WILL your WILL be ready to take over when that happens?  What WILL you do?

Rinse and Repeat!

No comments: