Tuesday, July 1, 2014

DOING the DO to BE the BE

“Men acquire a particular quality by constantly acting a particular way... you become just by performing just actions, temperate by performing temperate actions, brave by performing brave actions.”- Aristotle

This quote has meant quite a bit to me over the last four years.

When I began my journey towards health I didn't FEEL like a fit and healthy person.  And I wasn't.  But I DECIDED to BECOME a fit and healthy person and so I began to PERFORM the actions necessary to acquire that quality.

I ate the food.  I drank the water.  I moved my body.

And eventually I BECAME a fit and healthy person because I performed the actions that a fit and healthy person performs.

Firstly, I began to eat and drink correctly utilizing the 5&1 to move towards a HEALTHY BMI.
Then, as I moved into the OVERWEIGHT category from OBESE I began to MOVE MY BODY MORE.  I added the moving piece TO my already established eating routine, I did NOT modify my eating routine in ORDER to exercise MORE.  I stayed within the plan recommendations for ALL OF IT.

When I decided to run a Marathon, I transitioned to maintenance (since I was a healthy BMI already) and then trained for my Marathon. 

Here's the thing, I BECAME a fit and healthy  person because I ACTED like one, not because I FELT like one.  The emotions came over time as my current reality matched what I wanted to become, but there were many times in my journey (and there still are) where I'm not FEELING it.  Frankly, sometimes I FEEL like chucking it all out the window and eating a Bacon Lettuce and Tomato Sandwich.  But I don't, because I know those FEELINGS are not the truth, nor will DOING that action take me where I want to go or allow me to REMAIN where I want to BE.

I continue to DO the DO, to continue to Be the Be.

Rinse and Repeat!

No comments: