Thursday, June 12, 2014

A Little Chuckle, and a Real Life Confession

Anyone observing me go to the gym tonight to swim would have gotten quite a chuckle out of watching me negotiate getting IN to the pool.

There are two things I dislike immensely, being COLD and being WET.  BOTH of those factors play in when I swim.  And tonight, I'll be honest and confess that I did NOT have any love for the thought of swimming.

I dreaded it.

I procrastinated as long as I could, then I drove to the gym.  I put my suit on, then took a LOOOONG hot pre-swim shower with my suit on AS I put on my swimcap and earplugs, and just stood under the warm/hot water.

Dreading.

Dreading.

So I finally got up the nerve and walked to the....

Jacuzzi.

As I sat in the jacuzzi, I told myself I was only there for a few minutes, to save up all the warmth for the DREADED task ahead, the irony not being lost on me that I had just succeeded in making the next task even HARDER by getting all warm and cozy and comfortable in the niiiicceee soooooothinggggg jacuzziiiiiiii.

As I sat IN the nice warm jacuzzi I began to ask myself "who do you want to be today?"

The determination of who I would be today had not yet been made, because honestly it could have gone either way had I NOT begun to REMEMBER WHO I WAS. 

"You went to Paris in April and ran a freaking marathon.  You got up at 3:30 in the morning in the cold and ran over 27 miles three weeks BEFORE the marathon to make sure you could do this.  You are an athlete who is here at the gym to go for a swim and get in her workout today.  You did all that.  You CAN do this.  You ARE capable of just walking over to that cold pool and getting in it.  So what if you only swim ONE lap, at THIS point you have a choice to make.  Swimmers swim.  That's what they do.  Are you a swimmer or are you not?  If you don't do this now, it will be even harder the next time.  Who do you want to be tonight?"

With the words still echoing in my mind "Who do you want to be tonight?" I exited the jacuzzi and walked over the the pool.  I sat on the edge and put my legs in the water.  Yep.  Just as cold as I had feared.  Colder, actually, since I was still nice and warm from the jacuzzi.  I brought that one on myself.  Who do you want to be tonight?  Get in the pool.  Get in the pool.  Get in the pool.  I willed myself to get in to my hips.  Get in the pool.  Get in the pool.  Get in the pool.  Get.  In. The. Pool.  I got in to my shoulders.  Get in the pool.  Get in the pool.

I'm sure people wonder what kind of "willpower" and "determination" and "motivation" techniques I use to accomplish not only attaining but maintaining optimal health.  This is basically it.  Who do I want to be today/tonight?  Do what I have to do.  Get in the pool. 

It's not rocket science, in fact it feels like I'm a broken record trying to convince a 5 year old to eat their vegetables.  I FEEL like a 5 year old who doesn't WANT to eat their vegetables sometimes.

Get in the pool.

I'm happy to report I didn't ONLY swim 1 lap, although to be perfectly honest I would have been just as proud of my accomplishment tonight if I HAD only swam 1 lap.  Because tonight's challenge, apparently, was simply getting in the pool.  And I did.

Rinse and Repeat!

No comments: