Tuesday, May 6, 2014

"We ARE what we repeatedly DO" - Aristotle

"We ARE what we repeatedly DO.  Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle

Before losing 150 pounds and creating Optimal Health in my life, this was true.

AFTER losing 150 pounds and creating Optimal Health in my life, this remains true.

Before beginning the process of getting healthy, I was the sum total of my habits.  My Habits of Disease, my UNHEALTHY Habits.  What did that look like?

I can sum it up in a few sentences.  EATING unhealthy food, and LIVING a sedentary lifestyle.  The quality of life this created for me was a dark place.  I was an extrovert living as an introvert.  I weighed 272 pounds and walked occasionally with a cane when my knees hurt too badly.  I was almost as big around my middle as I was tall, and doing anything but sitting on the couch was a real effort.  My son was growing up with no one to play with him because I couldn't get up off the floor without the assistance of a piece of furniture, and while sitting on the floor it felt like I was suffocating. 

I was.  Suffocating.  In a world of my own making.

When I fully realized the tools I had available to me to create the health I desired, though, things changed.  Rapidly.  Within 2 weeks of beginning the program I had more energy.  My mood lifted and the dark clouds seemed to lessen.  I smiled. 

As I moved into Optimal Health I can scarcely remember what it felt like to walk into my closet full of clothing in 13 sizes (THIRTEEN SIZES!!!!!) and have nothing to wear, nothing that made me feel pretty or confident about myself at ALL.

Now my life is so different.  SO different.  I decided WHO I wanted to be, and then I began DOING what that person would do.

I began to practice Habits of Health.  Daily.  Consistently.  Over time, I BECAME the person I knew I COULD HAVE BEEN! 

Now?  I'm an extrovert LIVING like an extrovert.  I smile every day all day because I have genuine joy and peace living the life I knew I could live.  I began repeatedly DOING those things that would bring my TOWARDS health.  And I can say with full confidence that I am enjoying that health FULLY.

So what do you do?  Are you satisfied with being the person who thinks they can't get through a weekend "on program?"  Are you satisfied being the person who "will always struggle with my weight?"  Then continue DOING those things and focusing on the struggle and focusing on the yummy food on the weekends that you have been thinking about all week.  Because eventually we all get what we want.  What do you want?

What did I want?  I wanted health.  I wanted health so badly that I refused to focus on the "hard" or the "struggle" and began DOING the work.  And eventually it wasn't hard anymore.  And eventually the struggle ceased.  Because I DID what needed to be done.

We aren't overweight or obese because we are just destined to be that way.  We are overweight or obese because up until now we have chosen to engage in the habits that would make us so.  So make a NEW habit.  Practice that habit daily.  Master it.  Then move on to the next habit.

Some habits I created along the way:

*Measuring my cooked protein on a food scale.  ALWAYS.  I still do it.
*Measuring my vegetables with a measuring cup.  ALWAYS.  I still do it.
*Drinking 90 ounces of water daily.  ALWAYS.  I still do it.
*Adding daily healthy motion daily.  ALWAYS.  I still do it.
*Reading a few pages of Dr. A's Habits of Health consistently.  I still do it.
*Eating 5 meal replacements per day when I was on the 5&1.  ALWAYS.  I still utilize the meal replacements in my healthy maintenance plan because I have chosen to incorporate them.  I haven't found a superior alternative so I stick to what works for optimal nutrition and low glycemic.
*I did NOT use weekends, special occasions, office parties, or other social functions to "take a break" from health.  I still don't.

I want to encourage you to choose your path then develop the habits that will take you there.  IF you would like a program that helps you create the health you desire, message me and let's get going. I am a FREE Certified Health Coach. I'll help you get on the path towards Optimal Health.

Rinse and Repeat!

No comments: