Friday, May 23, 2014

Living Well Takes Effort

I was lying in bed thinking about this whole subject last night, and I came to the conclusion that for me, living well is always going to take tremendous effort.  Yes I'm in maintenance.  But don't let anyone tell you maintenance is a breeze.

Being in maintenance takes as much vigilance and even MORE planning than the weight LOSS portion of our program.  There is no "when this is finished" mindset in maintenance.  It does not exist for me, because IF THIS IS FINISHED only means one thing, it means I'm NOT in maintenance anymore and that is NOT an option for me that I am even willing to entertain.

Tremendous effort, but well worth it.  My day still contains daily activity.  Although I am not in training for a marathon anymore, I swim or run just about every day, anywhere from 20 minutes to 1 hour.  If I don't I go stir crazy.  When I'm not swimming or running it seems I am chopping vegetables LOL.  I love to chop vegetables and prepare amazing salads, it is sort of my time for meditation.  When I'm not swimming, running, or chopping vegetables I am cooking lean protein like fish, chicken, lean ground beef or steak, or SHOPPING for healthy food at Sprouts, Whole Foods, Costco or Trader Joe's. 

When I'm not swimming, running, chopping vegetables, cooking lean protein or shopping for healthy food I am reading books for personal development like "Change or Die" and "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" and "Change Your Questions, Change Your Life", and "Never Eat Alone", and "Refuse to Regain" and of course "Dr. A's Habits of Health".

When I'm not swimming, running, chopping vegetables, cooking lean protein, shopping for healthy food or reading personal development books I am taking care of my family and their needs while trying to keep the house clean and balance my stress levels. 

All of these things I need to fit in to just about every day.  And it is a lot.  Welcome to the rest of my life!

But you know what?  I am joyful!  I am peaceful!  Sure it is hectic and sure I still have an eating plan and sure there are stressers and labs for my son and annual check-ups approaching and all and then on the top of it all PMS comes marching through my door.

So maintenance is amazing, and wonderful and welcome to it and all, but it is really a whole lot more of the same behaviors and mindset that allowed me to ARRIVE here in maintenance, extended. 

I decided to change my mentality in the PROCESS of the weight loss phase, not to wait until I "got here" to begin changing my MIND about health.  And as a result, I realized that maintenance is ALSO a strict eating plan.  But I was prepared for that.  And I was joyful in that.  And I wasn't "waiting for it to be done".  For me it is the SAME amount of diligence and mindfulness and planning and effort, if not MORE to be in maintenance.  And it takes effort.

Maintenance is not for the faint of heart is what I'm saying here.  And the mental fortitude it takes to remain here doing the things I need to do in order to STAY here I had to develop ALONG THE WAY.  With intention and mindfulness.  With Dr. A's Habits of Health.  With intrinsic motivation.   

In short, choosing to live a healthy life full of vibrancy and joy is a heck of a whole lotta work. But I tell you it IS worth it. The alternatives are bleak. Been there, done that. So, I will continue to choose to live with intention, with constant hard work, lots of effort, and direction in order to maintain my relatively newfound health.  Hey, I'm 44, and for the first 41 years of my life (with the exception of a couple of years in high school and college) I was usually in a state of being overweight or obese!
Mindlessness is the enemy of maintenance.
Mindfulness is the friend of maintenance.

Yes, living well takes effort.  But it is well worth it.

Rinse and repeat!

No comments: