Thursday, April 17, 2014

Willpower or Changing our Wants?

We all have a limited supply of willpower.  A limited supply of "restraint" energy when we want something.  A limited supply of "motivation" or "feeling like doing it".

Therefore, if we rely on those things alone for our health journeys, we can maybe go a few months, or a few weeks, or a few days, or a few HOURS "On Plan".

So where are YOU in that timeline?  Are you in the "few months" and then struggling category?  Are you in the "few weeks and then struggling" category, are you in the "few days and then struggling" category or are you in the "few hours and then struggling" category?  If you are in ANY of these categories then I am pleased to tell you what worked for me.

I changed my wants.

What does that EVEN MEAN?  Well, it means that I STOPPED wanting those foods that were not conducive to my health goals and I STARTED wanting THOSE FOODS that would assist me in HEALTH CREATION.

You see, one of the biggest detriments to our journey IS our DIET MENTALITY.  It is characterized by feelings of deprivation.  "I can't have this or that, I'm on a diet!" and remains FOOD-centric, but the "yummy food"-centric NOT the Healthy Food-Centric.

We always GET what we FOCUS on.  So if you are watching FOOD NETWORK or perusing gooey recipes on PINTEREST, watch out because you are utilizing your willpower energy to stay away from these things in real life and you will have a battle on your hands soon because you are investing mental energy in things that you CAN'T have.

And you tend to run out of willpower at the craziest times, when you least expect it.  You may have simply had a hard day at work and then wonder why you "ended up" at the bottom of a Ben and Jerry's Salted Caramel Core Pint of icecream "all of a sudden" and "out of nowhere". 

If that happens, check your focus.  Check what you've been spending time on this last week or this last month.  Is it focusing on oooey gooey yummy nummy things that are not on plan? 

I'll tell you what changed it for me.  Focusing on health.

BUT WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?!?!?!  I can hear you! 

The mechanics of it are this, this is what I did!

1)  Buy Dr. A's Habits of Health Book
2)  Buy Dr. A's Companion Workbook called "Living a Longer Healthier Life"
3)  Buy a journal to write your thoughts down as you read Dr. A's Habits of Health.

After I did that I,
1)  Read Dr. A's Habits of Health Book every single day, even if for 5 minutes.
2)  Began working through the workbook and spend some time on it EVERY WEEK.
3) I have connected with MY Health Coach every week by phone for the last 3 years, for added support and accountability.

I decided what it is I wanted to CREATE in my life.  I looked at the GREAT THINGS I could bring IN to my life as a result of attaining and maintaining optimal health.  I STOPPED focusing on what I DIDN'T want or I COULDN'T  have. 

I changed my wants. 

Rinse and Repeat!

No comments: