Saturday, April 12, 2014

Anything Worth Doing is Hard....But it's a GOOD Kind of Hard!

The lessons I learned attaining a healthy weight were very valuable while I did my Marathon.  In fact, they were the same lessons that I had to learn to apply in a different area but in the SAME WAY.

Namely, that anything worth doing IS hard, but worth it. 

You find your WHY.  You set your GOAL.  You plan the ACTIONS it will take to accomplish that goal.  You IMPLEMENT your plan.

In other words, it comes down to the DOING.

Daily.

There were days I didn't want to "do" my plan, whether I was achieving a healthy weight or training for a marathon.

In fact, when I was RUNNING my marathon I can pretty much tell you that from mile 13 to mile 26.2 I was having second thoughts with EVERY STEP.

There were times it wasn't FUN.  But sometimes we have to really get past our adolescent mentality that everything needs to be FUN.

That is what I found, anyway!  And as my mind and emotions were playing a tug-of-war with my will, again, EVERY STEP of the last 13.2 miles of my marathon, I simply had one choice to make every second.  Do I take the next step?  Or don't I?

I chose to continue taking the next step.  I chose to override my mind AND my emotions, which were both pleading incessantly for me to hop on the support bus, and I chose to keep  MOVING FORWARD.

Because THAT was the plan.

If I hadn't had an overriding WHY, and an expressed and defined GOAL, there would have been absolutely no sane reason for me to continue to the finish line.

But I had planned ahead, and I had BOTH in good measure.  And THOSE were the things that kept me going through the tough times.

What is your WHY?  Why do you want to be healthy?  What is your GOAL?  Do you even know or is it some vague "I wanna lose weight" kind of thing?  If you have no WHY and you have no DEFINED GOAL then it is like a boat out there on the ocean with no destination in mind.  You can't steer that ship in any direction that makes sense, so you are just kind of tossed about on the waves with no land in sight.  Not a great place to be.  Kind of a scary place to be.

So captain your own ship, chart your own course, find a DESTINATION and a REASON to go there, and you will then do the actions and course adjustments necessary EVERY DAY to get you there.

Rinse and Repeat!

1 comment:

Dianalee said...

Really awesome and timely, thanks!!