Sunday, December 15, 2013

You WILL act in accordance with how you EXPECT yourself to act

"I just know I'm going to cave....I just know it's going to be SO HARD for me this weekend at the office party....I just have a feeling I'm going to eat off plan...I'm just afraid because of all the yummy things there....I just don't think I can stick to my eating plan ALL WEEKEND....It's simple during the week, but come the weekend it is SO HARD!"

Have you every uttered these words, and then SUCCEEDED through that challenge?

I haven't.  I know through my experience with achieving and maintaining optimal health that I will act EXACTLY as I EXPECT myself to act.

If I EXPECT myself to "cave", or if I EXPECT that I will "night-eat" because "well, I ALWAYS night-eat, I am a night-eater" then guess what?  I WILL ALWAYS night eat and I WILL ALWAYS be a night-eater.

We will step up or down to our expectations. 

When I began this journey the second time with TSFL I EXPECTED to achieve my healthy weight range.  I EXPECTED to keep it off.  I KNEW that I was going to intentionally develop the mindset I NEEDED in order to do exactly that.

As Epictetus says "First, say it is what you would be.  Then do what you have to do."

If you have ZERO expectations of yourself to ACTUALLY stay on plan over the weekends, you never will. 

If you already think you will fail at this because, well you have failed at every other diet you have tried, well then my friend you are setting yourself up to fulfill that prophecy.

Manage your expectations.  Don't let them just happen.  Change your expectations if they aren't serving you well.

There is so much more than "just losing a little weight" hanging in the balance here.

If you could see the difference in my life between 4 years ago and now, you would be amazed.  And anyone can achieve optimal health.  It just takes utilizing this tool, and following this plan.  And we all start somewhere.

When I started I was 272 pounds, Class IV Super-Obese and walking with a cane because my knees hurt so much.  I was as wide in circumference as I was tall, 63 inches at my widest part around my hips.  I got stuck in the turnstiles at Disneyworld and they had to let me through the stroller-gate with NO stroller.  I was tired all the time.  I hurt everywhere.  My chronic fatigue syndrome was flaring up every day.  My plantar fasciitis prevented me from doing much but sitting on the couch.  Not much fun for my then-5 year old son.

And then something happened.  I decided I was going to "do this one more time but this time keep it off."

It was my expectation.  Of COURSE I was going to lose the weight, of COURSE I was going to keep it off.  I expected myself to this time, because I told myself that I was not even going to START again if there was an INKLING of a chance I would gain it all back.  AGAIN.

It was too heartbreaking and devastating doing that the first time!  I lost 140 pounds only to gain 144 back in the same time it took me to lose it!  And I remember saying after hitting my goal the first time "I'll probably gain it all back now, because it seems that is what I do, if I'm not losing I'm gaining!" 

Yes.  I said that OUT LOUD to a friend back in 2007 after losing the 140 pounds the first time.  And yes.  I did gain it ALL BACK.

This time I went into the process EXPECTING NOT TO GAIN IT BACK.

And I have been maintaining 130 pounds lost and even lost a few more to get UNDER my goal of 128 over the last few months. 146 pounds lost en toto.  Never to gain it back again.

My life NOW looks and feels something like this:

I have a BMI of 22.5 and am working toward a BMI of 21 through transiton/maintenance and exercise (I am finished with Phase 1 of the program, the weight loss phase of the 5&1).  I bounce out of bed in the mornings, greeting the day with a smile.  I begin my day with a healthy fueling, usually a Medifast Meal, and a cup of coffee.  I can wear ANYTHING in my closet, and my sizes range from 2-4 in pants and skirts and dresses, and XS - S tops.  (I used to be a size 26 Women's Stretch Jeans and XXXL tops).  If it's a "running day" I'll go for a run.  If it's a "rest" day I'll rest.  I go to work (my kitchen table) with a smile, as my family gets their day going.  The words that come to mind are ENERGY.  VIBRANCY.  JOY.  Far cry from HOPELESSNESS.  DESPAIR.  BLACK HOLE that I was living in before I DECIDED to make this permanent change.

Some people may say "never say never" and to that I say it is hogwash.  I can tell you I will never be a serial killer.  I can tell you I will never join the circus.  There are some things you CAN SAY NEVER too....and SHOULD.  No offense to circus workers.  But I will NEVER gain my weight back.  There is no question mark in my head.  I am as certain of that fact as I am that the sun will rise tomorrow.

And that is my expectation.

What do YOU expect of yourself?  Whatever it is, you WILL achieve it.  Positive OR Negative.  It will happen. 

Rinse and Repeat.

No comments: