Monday, December 23, 2013

You Can't Take a Vacation From Your Body

I can't tell you how many times I have ACTED as though I could take a mini-vacation from my body.

What does that look like? 

Well, it usually involves some sort of break from my usual schedule.  Sometimes it involves going someplace on, you guessed it, vacation.

At some point my brain would make the errant conclusion that since I wasn't at my usual place doing my usual thing, I could eat whatever appealed to me at the time because I must be on VACATION, and therefore I could ENJOY myself and usually that included OFF PLAN FOOD and DRINK.  And not only this, but somehow I would delude myself thinking that I wouldn't have to face the very real consequences of this behavior.

Problem is that my BODY did not agree with the whole "suspension of consequences" thing.

My body would continue to process those extra calories, sugar, fat, and alcohol as it always has done with extra calories, sugar, fat, and alcohol.  Namely, store it as fat.  Get bigger.  Jeans would get tighter.  Face would get puffier.  And all that could be accomplished in LESS than a week of this attitude!

LESS than a week.  ONE day of this kind of eating sets my body into that very predictable cycle of getting bigger.

Because I can't take a vacation from ME.  I take ME everywhere I go.  I take my BODY everywhere I go.  And my BODY has set limitations, and rules that I DO need to adhere to if I want to live a joyful and healthy life with no regrets.

I can't swap bodies.  I can't leave it at home, either. 

So the only alternative is to CONTINUE to make the HEALTHY CHOICES that I make every day, no matter what my context.  Whether I am at home, in another country, on Christmas Break, at a friend's house, on an airplane flying all day, in a car driving all day, at a Spa or Resort, on the Ski Hills, WHEREVER I AM, and WHEREVER MY BODY IS, I need to continue to make healthy choices. 

I need to fuel my body properly with the right kind of nutrition and hydration, all day every day, if I want to have peace and joy on my journey.

This week has been particularly hard because one of my obstacles I have had to overcome in my life has been sentimental eating.  Christmas is the biggest challenge because my Mom, who is no longer with us, used to go all out for Christmas Eve.  I'm feeling the pull, feeling the tug, having to reconcile the uncomfortable feelings and anxiety that often come when I'm beginning to focus on FOOD and not HEALTH. 

So I'm pulling myself back, and getting in to Dr. A's Habits of Health book and workbook today.  It is an exercise I do when I begin to feel I'm being tugged toward unhealthy choices.

What will YOU do this Holiday Season?  What HAVE you done?  Even if you have been off plan this week, you can start TODAY to make healthy choices again.  Are your jeans a little more snug this week than they were LAST week?  Forgive yourself, and make your next meal a Medifast Meal.

You can't leave your body behind this Holiday Season, so don't leave your Health Goals behind either!




Please contact me at stacymichellephillips@gmail.com if you would like to get started on YOUR path to optimal health!

Rock on!

No comments: