Friday, August 3, 2012

Is My Goal "To Lose Weight" or Is My Goal "To Attain And Maintain A Healthy Weight"?

On the surface of it, at first glance, the title of this blog may seem to be a redundant question repeated in a different way.

It is SO not.

For most of my life, I have always had the goal of "losing weight".  Therefore, the only measure of my success or failure was whether or not I was in fact, losing weight.

That thrill, that rush of success always accompanied a drop on the scale.  And those days that the scale didn't drop?  Well, they were let downs.  My bubble was always burst for that day.  Because I hadn't "Lost Weight."

Even the first time I did the program and lost 140 pounds, I felt a raging success...because I had "lost weight".

Made me think about what is really different this time around, and I realize that through reading Dr. A's Habits of Health and thinking about my long term goals I am a totally different person with a totally different perspective now. 

You see, if I had only kept my goal as "losing weight" then the only REAL way I could ever feel successful is to KEEP losing weight.  And that necessitates a regain of the lost weight at some point in there because when I was at my goal weight I had run out of weight to lose, run out of ways to FEEL successful.

So I created a new opportunity for success, in regaining the weight.

That is not happening this time, since I have experienced a paradigm shift of my goals.  My goal now is not just to attain a healthy weight (done!) but to MAINTAIN a healthy weight. 

So maintaining the healthy weight is my main concern, and showing others that it is possible to attain AND maintain a healthy weight is part of my life mission now.

So have you experienced a paradigm shift?  Do you desire optimal health?  Have you defined what that means to you?  Or is your goal not yet made it past "To Lose Weight?"

Some things to think on....

Create a great weekend!

No comments: