Friday, July 29, 2016

Consider the Hummingbird

Six months ago I put small hummingbird feeder on the window next to my kitchen table. I thought it would be nice to see them come and go, to admire their beautiful iridescent feathers sparkling in the sunlight.

The hummingbirds found the feeder relatively quickly, and indeed they do swoop in and out many times a day. In fact, we have several families of hummingbirds now who have built nests and taken up residence in the trees in our front yard!

Throughout the day, as I work from my kitchen table, my peripheral vision will catch movement, I'll stop whatever I am doing, and watch in wonder as these little miracle-birds come for their "fuel".

Here's what I have noticed. They come. They drink the hummingbird food (fuel). Then they fly off to continue living their little hummingbird lives. A while later they will come, drink the fuel, and fly off again to resume doing what hummingbirds do whenever they aren't "fueling up."

Their internal clocks tell them when they are running out of energy and need to re-fuel, and that is when they do it. If I could peek into their brains, I bet I wouldn't see them obsessing about when and where and what their next feeding will be the entire time they are away from the feeder. Having never BEEN a hummingbird, though, I really don't KNOW what they are thinking, I can only guess. They KNOW their fuel will be right there, when they need it, and they plan to return whenever they need it.

They don't take more than they need for the next little while. They don't "camp out" next to the hummingbird syrup, afraid it won't be there the next time they need it. They seem content and at peace with the same routine, the same fuel, day after day after day. They haven't complained about the lack of variety yet! I've also never seen a stout hummingbird.

Just some thoughts for today.




No comments: