Monday, March 16, 2015

Who Do I Want to Be Today?

Who Do I Want to Be Today?

This is the question I try to ask myself daily.  Why daily?  Because on the days I don't ask - and answer - this question of myself I tend to fall into apathy and inaction. 

There is a danger in NOT asking myself this question on any given day, because if I don't ask - and answer - this question on a given day, the likelihood I will IGNORE the question again TOMORROW increases exponentially.  And it gets harder to ask the question.

And then I don't like the question.  And then I don't like the answer.  And then....guess what...the weight begins to come on again.

No, I have found that ignoring this question is NOT an option for me.  I have learned this, dear readers, through many years of trial and error, and I tell it to YOU because I want to encourage you to guard against apathy.

Apathy and inaction for me go hand in hand.  It's like the second law of thermodynamics, in my brain, and then my body.

Kind of a "use it or lose it" sort of scenario.

Establishing the HABIT of asking myself this question, and then continuing in the HABITS I have developed incrementally over time of creating health in my life is vital.  It is essential.  It is a matter of life or death for me.

When I am actively asking myself this question daily, and when I am taking the actions that agree with my answer daily, I feel at peace with myself, and at peace with the process.

When I am NOT asking myself this question daily, when I am IGNORING the question and not taking some time to THINK about the answer then follow it up with ACTION, I fall into disrepair.  Literally.

So what is my answer to this question "Who Do I Want to Be Today?"

I want to BE a fit and healthy woman who is living the LIFE that a fit and healthy woman lives, authentically.

When I don't ask - or  answer - that question then my day deteriorates into randomly going from activity to activity, none of which specifically promote any degree of health in my life.

Here is the difference in MY life, in MY day, of asking/answering the question, and of NOT.

ASKING/ANSWERING the question day:
Wake up early-ish.  Have a healthy health-promoting breakfast.  Go for a run.  Engage with my clients.  Engage with my family.  Go to bed ON my eating plan.

NOT ASKING/ANSWERING the question day:
Hit the snooze button.  Hit it again.  Wait for my husband to bring me coffee in bed.  Drink another cup of coffee.  Ignore my run.  Binge-watch a few episodes of whatever mini-series I am actively engaged in.  Waste the day.  Eat off-plan.  Feel sorry for myself.  Feel bad about myself.  NOT want to engage with my clients because I feel like a shmuck.  Go to bed feeling defeated.

Now, over time, which of these two scenarios do you think lead to attaining and maintaining a fit and healthy lifestyle?  Ding ding ding ding.

So what do I do when I pull my head out of the sand after a few months of the UN-healthy scenario?

I ask the question.  I answer the question.  I prioritize my day around those actions and activities which will achieve what I want to achieve.

And the great thing is that it is never "too late" to turn the ship around, to halt the tide of what people call the "inevitable weight re-gain."

I absolutely reject the notion that it inevitable for someone who has lost a significant amount of weight to re-gain that weight.  Will there be some ups and downs?  Sure, because none of us is perfect.  But I refuse to allow my imperfections to be an excuse for inaction and plain laziness.

So.  There you have it.

Rinse and Repeat!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just want to say that I am so glad I found your blog..again! I used your blog daily last year for motivation as I went on my medifast journey. I would log in every morning and read your old posts on the medifast website. I lost my way around August after losing around 50 pounds. I still had more to lose but was pretty comfortable so I started letting things slide. A few times I would try to get re-motivated - I went to the medifast website at some point and everything had changed. I really wanted to re-read your blog and try to get focused but I couldn't find anything on the site. This morning I stumbled across your blog and was thrilled that I could look back through your journey and get myself in gear to do this again. I stepped on the scale this morning and have regained 30 of the 50 I lost last year. This has to stop now and I will be studying your blog each step of the way and remind myself that I can do this! Thanks again!