Saturday, November 22, 2014

Truths From Hunger Games: The Mockingjay Part 1 Movie

“It takes ten times as long to put yourself back together as it does to fall apart.”- Finnick Odair

I went to the movies last night, Hunger Games: The Mockingjay Part One.  I was a little worried that I'd be the oldest person in a dark theater full of screaming adolescents who, to me at my age, look to be about 7 years old, but surprisingly there was a good mix of ages represented.  

Likely it is due to the appeal of the movie, which is broad in scale.  I have enjoyed the first two Hunger Games movies in the series and I was not disappointed last night.

The quote that grabbed me the most was made by Finnick Odair, who is, along with Katniss Everdeen, a "Victor-veteran-from-the-Hunger-Games-turned-rebel-freedom-fighter."  

Both of these characters fall into the category of "reluctant heroes" in that they didn't get to CHOOSE the challenges they are facing, but rise in the midst of those challenges to face them head on and to do what needs to be done, when it needs to be done, in order to attain the freedom they desire from the clutches of the oppressive Capital.

In one scene, Katniss and Finnick have an exchange where Katniss is asking Finnick how he manages to go on amidst the despair of knowing that the love of his life is still in the grips of President Snow, the evil dictator of the Capital.  In his answer, he says to her that "it takes ten times as long to put yourself back together is it does to fall apart."  

This struck a chord with me, as on my health journey it takes constant vigilant effort to continue to make wise decisions and to maintain what I have worked so hard to create with my health.  I know the truth of these words, in that if a few poor decisions begin to snowball I can rapidly tumble down a hill and undo very quickly the progress I have made, and it takes ten times more effort to pull myself back from the brink than it would have had I not chosen to go over the brink in the first place.  

It is never too late to become the person we "might have" been, however, and I am not afraid of a little hard work and dedication.  What I am committed to improving is my actions.  I feel sometimes like a reluctant hero - to myself.

I didn't choose my body, I didn't choose my genes, and I know that I will always put on excess weight again if I live "beyond my means" as regards food.  Excess intake and excess calories and decreased activity will ALWAYS result in weight gain for me, and this, again, is not something I chose but it IS the only body I have and I can either honor its limitations and live the healthy life I want to live DESPITE those challenges, OR I can tumble down the hill and kiss my health goodbye.  

Katniss is driven by the love she has for  her family and the love she has for Peeta (who is also in the custody of the evil Capital) to do what needs to be done, to rise to the challenges of the situation, and to fight for what she believes in even though at times she is not quite sure herself what is so special about her in particular which has thrust her into the position of "heroine."  

Katniss didn't choose her circumstances but she does choose how to respond.  

I didn't choose to have the body that I have, but I DO decide what to do with it.  I DO decide which direction my life is going and what ACTIONS I will take to achieve the purpose I am called to.  I am choosing freedom in the midst of my circumstances, because I make the decision what to do next as regards my health.  And I will fight for what I have accomplished, I will not back down.  If temporary setbacks come I will continue to ACT in a manner which will move me forward in my health. 

FACT:  I have lost 150 pounds.  FACT: I have maintained a healthy BMI for 2 years.  FACT:  I am closer to the top end of the "healthy" BMI and feel my best when I am about 15 pounds lighter than I am today.  FACT:  I will move forward today in continuing to create the health I desire in my life.  

Rinse and Repeat!

 

   

1 comment:

Dan O. said...

Good review Stacy. Though I liked it for the most part, I still can't help but feel incredibly disappointed by how abrupt its ending was. But I'm glad to hear of your inspiration! Keep it up!