Tuesday, November 11, 2014

A Tale of Two Lives....

Life can be funny sometimes, y'know?  I've noticed that in my OWN life I can work myself into and out of a funk on a pretty regular basis.  The last month or two I have been living in extreme funk-ville.
In retrospect, I can laugh.  I can see the humor and the tunnel-vision, all at the same time.  Today I chose to reframe things.  You see, I'm a perfectionist.  Sometimes being a perfectionist is beneficial to me, but most days it is a hindrence rather than a help.  But I'm OK now.  I'm working through it.

Why a "Tale of Two Lives?"  Because I am the same person I was yesterday, in the same situation, with the same circumstances.  The same difficulties and stressors darkened my doorway this morning as did yesterday, but I am choosing to reframe the context and count my blessings.  

Yesterday I was feeling a bit trapped in this "post-obese" body.  Yesterday I was becoming frustrated with the limitations of always needing to be minful of my intake and my activity level.  I was paying too much attention to the "perceived bummers" that remaining a healthy and fit woman brings along with it.  You know the negative chatter "I wish I could eat this.....I wish I didn't HAVE to exercise every day...I wish I didn't have contraints on my time...I wish I could do what I WANT!"

Then it hit me again like a ton of bricks, I DO have the freedom to do exactly what I want.  So I need to be careful and guard my "wants" like a precious gift.  I need to recalibrate when that inner-brat is beginning that chatter in my brain in an attempt to make me feel incapable, unloved, and downright sorry for myself.

I have a life that I would envy.  I make my own hours, I help people bring health into their lives, my husband homeschools our darling 10-year old boy.  I have a roof over my head, food on my table, and relatively few outside "pressures."  

I only have the pressure I put on myself.  I have plenty of time to be active, to go for a run, to go for a swim, I know how to cook and to eat healthily, and my family is doing fine!  

So what it boils down to is this.  Remembering who I am and what I can do.  Remembering that I alone am responsible for what I put into my body, and I alone am responsible for how much I choose to move it around.  Remembering that this life, my life, is a gift and we all have our "stuff" we deal with but that I HAVE done this, I CAN continue doing this, and I WILL continue to remain healthy.

What does that look like today in my life?  I am on my eating plan.  And life is good.

Rinse and Repeat!   

1 comment:

Rina said...

Stacy I believe we all deal with it. Our gluten/carb loaded world is challenging. Really appreciate this post.