Monday, October 7, 2013

Projecting Today's Choices on to Tomorrows Landscape

I used to not be so good at this.  I'm still not great at it in some areas of my life, like when the running clothes from yesterday stay in a heap on the floor where I stepped out of them, only to be rediscovered about 15 minutes before I wanted to go running TODAY.....

Consequences.  Long term consequences for today's decisions. 

What decisions?  Well you can take ANY decision and draw it out to its long-term conclusion. 

Spending.
Eating.
Cleaning.
Accumulating.
Working.

Many of us a quite responsible individuals in most other areas of our lives, but when it comes to the EATING decisions, we have blinder on. 

Part of developing a fit and healthy mind is honing our projections skills regarding the eating and drinking decisions we make this INSTANT. 

We teach our kids to THINK about the long-term consequences of our actions, yet many of us who have struggled with our weight our whole lives truly struggle with grasping this concept.

It is as easy as this:

"If I eat off plan TODAY I won't reach my HEALTH GOALS.

First, we have to actually define what it is we are after, our health goals, so that we HAVE something to tie our daily decisions in to.

What do you want to create with this process?  I asked myself that 3 years ago.  And I created it.  Through daily staying on plan.  Through setting goals, managing projections, curbing unhealthy habits and adopting Habits of Health.

Did you know that achieving your health goals is entirely possible, and can be boiled down at present to drinking that bottle of water you have on your desk which you haven't touched for 2 hours?  Go ahead...take a moment...unscrew the cap...drink the water in the next 5 minutes, then go fill it up again.

And the long-term consequences of this seemingly small, seemingly inconsequential act are that you are promoting your health goals.  You are in the process of BECOMING WHO YOU WANT TO BE, who you KNEW YOU COULD BE, one sip of water at a time, one intentional, mindful act of program compliance at a time.

Did you measure your half and half this morning for your coffee?  I did, because I am in the habit of doing that which promotes my long term health goals.

What are my long-term health goals?  Not a number on the scale.  My long term health goals when I began this program 3 years ago were "To attain and maintain a healthy weight".  That turned in to "To attain and maintain optimal health" which has turned in to "To attain and maintain Ultra-health.

=)  And I am doing just that. 

What are YOUR long-term health goals? 

Rinse and Repeat!

No comments: