Sunday, July 8, 2012

Living Within My Physical Limitations

Living Within My Physical Limitations
I have physical limitations.  Namely, my body stores every extra calorie it isn't using THAT SECOND as fat.  And studies show that because I've been morbidly obese for most of my life, I will ALWAYS need around 20% fewer calories to maintain my weight than those people who have naturally maintained a healthy weight all of their lives.

So that is my physical limitation.  My body likes to be fat.  Tries to be fat.  Wants to be fat.  Works to be.....

FAT.

I consider this a permanent handicap that I can either resent and be bitter about, or embrace and learn how to best function and meet all my health and life goals WITHIN the framework of my limitation.

You see, I have come to a place in my life where I am coming to peace with food.  Yep.  Peace.  With food.

It's like in Psalms 16:6
"
The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places; Yea, I have a goodly heritage."
The way I apply this verse to my life is that my boundary lines, or the lines of my pasture, are set by God.  I have spent much of my life, my yo-yo dieting, either surpassing those boundaries (grazing in fields that aren't mine to graze in) or being envious of the grass that is on the other side of the fence while I grudgingly chomp my own grass.

Now, I realize, I am not really a sheep.  But the parallels in my own life are too hard to ignore.

My body has certain physical boundaries in terms of calorie consumtpion (type, quantity, etc, insulin resistance and the like) which, when ignored or violated, lead to consistent and virtually non-stop weight gain. 

This leads to morbid obesity every time I have tried it.

So I will eat my own grass.

Now the alternative is for me to eat my own grass and be mad about it.  To resent other people whose grass looks more tasty.  To whine constantly about it not being fair that I'm penned up in my OWN pasture.

Then I realized....

God gave me my OWN pasture.  With my OWN boundaries.  And when I am resting in my pasture with my OWN grass, and being thankful for it, yes, THANKFUL for it, I can enjoy my pasture.  And my limitations.  And live my life.  And be at peace.

So "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence" has particular relevance to me in that I have lately been practicing contentment.  Contentment with the process.  Contentment with my physical limitations as regards food.  Content to know that food is for the stomach, and the stomach is for food, and food is no longer my idol.  I don't have a "relationship" with it.  I don't "worship" it.  I don't plan my entire day around when I can next have the "yummies".  My church is not sitting on a couch in front of the Food Network, paying homage to.....dreaming about.....wishing I had....wanting......food.

I have food.  And I am thankful every day for that daily bread, which for me, right now, is the Medifast 5&1.

Have a great week!

1 comment:

dianalee said...

Well, now, this is going to take some thought...
Contentment with my limitations, not try to change them. I will ponder this. Thanks for the food for thought!