Thursday, November 15, 2012

Are We The Victim or the Heroine?

Are We The Hero/Heroine or the Victim?
A blog this morning reminded me that our stories are yet unwritten.  That WE determine how the story of our life, the narrative, will go.  WE determine the storyline, the characters, all of it.

So let me ask, are we writing the story of our lives in such a way that it is a great adventure and we are the hero/heroine?  Or are we writing the story of our lives in such a way that it is a greek tragedy and we are the victims?

I used to be a victim in my own greek tragedy.  272 pounds, walking with a cane, not able to fit through the turnstiles at Disneyworld.  Unable to go on carousels, helicopters, or anything else with a 250 pound weigh limit.  I wouldn't have even been able to get an MRI locally if I had needed one.  I was the classic victim.  Life had taken it's toll on me.  And I was listless, and being acted UPON instead of ACTING UPON LIFE.

One day, I decided to write a different ending to my story.  I decided it was my choice to do that, so I took myself up on that offer and I DECIDED to believe in myself, and in the power of my decisions.  I charted a course, and I have implemented the action steps necessary to get me there. 

Fast forward:  I am happy.  I am my own heroine.  I showed up for myself in ways that I could only hope and dream of in the old days.  But you see, hopes and dreams are NOT strategies.  Hopes and dreams are good places to begin, but if we never put action steps to those hopes and dreams then we will NEVER accomplish any of those things.

So what are your action steps today?  You know what mine are? 

Have a daily plan and carry it out.  Don't let the day act on YOU, YOU act on your day.  Make things happen.  Write your own ending.  Stay on your plan, because one of these days your outsides will match your insides.  And YOU will be at your goal, and YOU will be the hero/heroine of your OWN story.

What will you choose?

No comments: